Computer Will Not Boot, But Posts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LaptopGirl

Ok I just got back from Christmas vacation, and it seems the problems are piling up with my computer. Here's what I got done and what's still happening. Ok, I reseeded the CPU, the Video Card (Which we tested the video card in another computer and it worked fine) Reseeded the ram. Try to start up the computer, it starts up for about 3 seconds, gives the beep that bios passed tests, and then immediately shuts down. I'm at a loss on this one, because my husband feels that if the power supply was bad, that it'd not even try to start up at all. So I rely now on you tech people with the super brains. Please help.

Rukee

Banned
I think your husband is on the right path with the power supply, it sure does sound like a failing power supply, that`s one of the symptoms, starts and then shuts off on it`s own.

LaptopGirl

Ok just bought a new power supply, same issue, computer starts up for a second, gives me the bios passed check beep and then shuts down. HELP!! This is annoying.

LaptopGirl

Ok now it's not even giving a beep on startup, all I hear is the computer start up and then the fans get going and it shuts down right away. I guess it's pretty fooked. I'm just gonna assume the MB took a dump. It's a pretty nice MSI and I don't understand why it'd just randomly blow up.

ei guys'
got the same problem with my pc' i even tried my HDD to other machine and works fine...got another power supply and seem okei but "monitor blinking no display as if it is in standby "

well lets hope not this is the issue READ- They should really tell all people who buy a laptop this ... NEVER turn your comp on when the comp is very cold.. why .. think about it thats like running the heck outta a car when its cold youll blow a gasket which is what i believe you did ... if thats the case try the CPU, gives a error message mother board, if not Power Supply

I learned that trick after doing that to my laptop. was a controller on my Mobo :)

G'day Laptopgirl, is this machine you have the problem with a laptop?
Your problem sounds odd, if it were a PC type machine it almost could indicate a hard drive problem. In that your were originally getting an apparent boot attempt and a beep, then a problem, it may possibly be a hard -drive or one of the other drives with an electro-mechanical fault that is killing the thing.
But that problem situation has now altered.
I would try to run the thing in as minimal condition as possible with all possible drives removed. This reduces that component problem possibility.
Actually just having the processor, video and normal MB circumstance without any memory fitted will often give continued beeping if a power up attempt is made.
This idea can sometimes be helpful. Be extremely careful with the memory stick/s, remember you are handling millions of electro-static sensitive electronic elements, and there is no "whoops".
You have reseated components, which often does assist problem analysis.
Ensure that no possibility of power is on any component when you operate with component parts.
Cheers, qldit.

id make sure the cpu fan is running and make sure the connector is connected good. Id pull the video card and look for a differt beep error same with cpu and ram to see if the motherboard is working fully. IF you get the right beep codes for them. Sence your getting a short post that seems like your video cpu and ram is good but somthing is triggering a failsafe and shutting the pc off id unplug every ide and cdrom from system and any extra case fans. Then power up and see wat happens.

qldit said:
G'day Laptopgirl, is this machine you have the problem with a laptop?
Your problem sounds odd, if it were a PC type machine it almost could indicate a hard drive problem. .... Cheers, qldit.
It cannot be a laptop qldit, as they do not usually have a video card that can be re-seated (reseeded??).

I would suspect the hard drive as well as the motherboard, and try disconnecting both the IDE cable and the power cable to see if it POSTs without them.

Otherwise the motherboard could be an issue.

When the CPU was reseated, was thermal paste applied to the heatsink? Without a good thermal bond, shutdown will occur in seconds.

Also look at the large capacitors on the motherboard to see if any are bulging or leaking (a common problem) as that would indicate the cause.

Good Evening Kiwi, yes the name kind of threw me, as you can see it doesn't take much to confuse me!
The reseeding kind of created the coup-de-gras.
I think you may have hit the nail with the capacitor possibility. www.badcaps.net from memory.
Happy New Year, not much to go for you! (1 hour)

Yes it very well could be bad caps , board's from 1999 to 2002 had bad caps in them, my brother's socket 370 had them and he was getting random reboots and eventually died,
upon close inspection of the cap's they looked buldged:eek:

It also could be overheating , but I'm betting she's got one of the bad one's, Acually if you do have one MSI will replace the bad cap's and pay for the shipping too, only if you live in the States though. They got sued for using them and not telling the consumer about it.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

Good Evening to you Derrick, we have less than an hour to go and it will be 06.
So I am a little worse for wear here, my regards to you for the greatest coming year, may all your efforts run 20 degsC cooler!
Cheers, qldit. (currently 29DegsC) You might consider giving up smoking! (LOL)

one of my msi had th mosfit blow up lol literly smoked and all turned its silver heatsink on top black.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online