1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not boot past the "Compac" startup screen.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twiscuit, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twiscuit

twiscuit Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have a Compac desktop, it's relatively new as far as use. Recently, it's not been used because of a startup issue. It will load the first screen (The compac screen and act like it's it going to load up) but then loops back to the first screen and continue to do this over and over. My mother told me that the computer had fallen off of out computer hutch (About 2 inches off the ground) and heard an interesting noise inside. She described the sound like a CD hitting the floor, but I looked inside the desktop, and nothing seemed to be out of place.
    I want to get the data files and documents, but as stated above, I cannot use the computer.
    I have a Ubuntu CD already made, and have used it before.. Unfortunately, the CD drive doesn't seem to be recognizing the disc. I can see the little white blinking "-", but that is all I can get to come up before the screen goes into another loop; and the previous process.
    I was hoping some one could possibly help me out in getting the computer to the point to save the data? I have the option to reformat the whole computer, but I'd rather save that for last measures if the data cannot be recovered.
    Again, the computer is a compac, Windows XP OS, desktop - only about 3 years old.

2. Ima Hallmark

Ima Hallmark Banned

Can you get into Bios? If so is your HDD listed there? Did you set the boot order in Bios to cd rom for the Linux cd? I would also check to see if a jumper has came off of your disk drives.

3. twiscuit

twiscuit Thread Starter

Yes I can use BIOS; to my suprise, I believe I can use most of the startup options.. Just no startup.
    The HDD, I believe, is listed in BIOS. Under boot options, it said I could use the HDD as a primary booting device, and it said it was installed on the bottom of that page. The reason I say this it because the "Network boot group" was a boot option, but it was not installed.
    Yes, I switched the CD and HDD boot devices the the CD was my primary boot device. After I did this, I tried to boot with my Ubuntu CD, but as I've stated above, I only get a blinking, white dash
    "(-)" and then it loops back to the "Compac" screen and repeats the process.
    It would make sense that a jumper could have come loose; the jumpers and other wires are in a bit of a tight squeeze and pull a little. My mom said the computer fell about 2 inches and she heard something inside. This could be what she heard. However, I'm not certain anything came off.. It could have been something on top of the computer that fell off as well. It's a bit flaky. However, I've not been educated on what jumpers go into the disk drive, or whatever is connected to "pick your imput."
    So I wouldn't know if anything came loose and needed to be reconnected. Do you know what I'm saying? Any suggestions? Thanks!
    A.

4. Ima Hallmark

Ima Hallmark Banned

I would open the case and look to see if a wire came loose or if the jumper, small square plastic piece, is laying anywhere in the case. Make a bootable flash drive using puppy linux and see if you hard drive is still good. It will run in RAM. I'm no expert that's just what I would do. Maybe someone with more knowledge will see your post.

5. twiscuit

twiscuit Thread Starter

Thanks, I will definitely try that. Thanks for the info.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/963383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice