1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not boot up, worked previously

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WolverineZac, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WolverineZac

WolverineZac Thread Starter

I've had my computer for over 2 years now, and it's been working fine, but today when I tried to boot it up... nothing happened. I hit the power button, and nothing happened! I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the cord connecting the power button to the mobo, as the power light on the mobo is on. I checked the cord, and it's plugged in just fine, not broken, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    ---Zac

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Just the motherboard power light (is it an LED?)? No fans or anything else come on? Sounds like a power supply problem but can't be sure without more info.

3. WolverineZac

Yes, just the LED on the mobo comes. Well, the light on the power button also comes on.

4. Sharp67

Sharp67

do you hear anything power up like Hard Disk Drives, fans, etc?

5. WolverineZac

My external HDD boots up when I plug it in, but nothing internal boots up.

6. Sharp67

Sharp67

Sounds to me like a bad Power Supply Unit bud. Do you have any extra ones you can try to see if that is the problem?

7. shinybeast

shinybeast

Maybe one of the rails is gone on the PSU? You could borrow an appropriate power supply and swap to see if you get it back up. If it works, obviously you need a new PSU. If it still doesn't come back up then I would say motherboard problem.

8. WolverineZac

Hmm. If it were a PSU problem, would the mobo light still come on? I'm just thinking that if one of the rails were broken, then one thing wouldn't turn on but the system would, but if the whole PSU was broken, nothing would come on, but the mobo light does turn on.

9. Sharp67

Sharp67

Well the way I am thinking, you might have too little power to go throughout the whole system. It really doesn't take that much power to light up a LED light. The best thing to do would be put another one in to see if that is the problem.

10. shinybeast

shinybeast

Power supplies can do funny things. It's better if they fail completely, makes things easy. I had one that would work fine, then not work correctly (strange random reboots), then work fine, then not work, then work fine and finally it died.

11. shinybeast

shinybeast

If you need to get a replacement, DO NOT SKIMP. Buy a quality power supply and don't be fooled by large stated wattages. Quality is most important, wattage is secondary.

12. WolverineZac

Alright, thanks guys! I dunno if I have another PSU I can test, but I'll try ordering a new PSU and seeing if that works, if not, I'll just return it. XD

Can you recommend a quality company, but not one with sky-high prices? And what wattage should I aim for, with a single-core CPU, two internal HDDs, two CD-rom drives, an nVidia 8600 GTS, a sound card, and lots of USB ports, etc.? (I do want a wattage that will give me room to grow, I'd like to go dual-core with Socket 775 in the future, and possibly SLI.)

13. shinybeast

shinybeast

Spend some time doing some research. A quality 500-600 watt power supply would be sufficient for future growth. Start with wattage that's in there now and add more if you want to increase power consumption in the future. I have a dual core opteron, four hard/optical drives, an 8600GT and not much else (other than memory and cpu, of course). I have a 500 watt Seasonic that's a year old. I'm really leary about recommending brands, 'cause once I do, they will probably get bought out or start making crap. Do your research, it'll be worth it in the end.

14. WolverineZac

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice