1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TexasPete, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TexasPete

TexasPete Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and it looks to be full of useful information, I'm glad I found it!

For the past week or so I have been trying to fix my girlfriend's computer. Apparently, she downloaded some kind of spyware, a virus, or possibly both. I consider myself pretty handy with computers, however I can't even get her computer to boot so I can troubleshoot the problem. When I turn her computer on it displays the Sony logo, the Pentium logo, it beeps once, then starts all over again. It will repeat this process as long as the computer is powered on.

I'm willing to try any suggestions you all may have, but here is what I have tried so far (via some tech support from another forum):

-I tried using Last Known Good Configuration and rebooting in Safe Mode

-I created a Puppy Linux boot CD which successfully loaded and let me see all of the files, etc. on the hard drive which I guess would prove there is no damage to the hard drive itself.

-I created a Windows Recovery CD, and ran the following commands: chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr

After completing the above, I still cannot get the computer to boot past the Pentium logo screen.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

-Cory

2. Paynesmanor

Paynesmanor

First as much info about the computer would be very helpfull in giving spacific answers to your issues,, But it sounds like you might have hardware issues, or Possibly something with the bios.

If its a desktop Try Removing the battery from the MOBO, and Remove all power cords. Then hit the power button, the fans should spin for a second, and stop wait at least one FULL min, Pull out the ram and put it back in (sometimes it helps to switch them around).. replace the battery and power cord, and reboot.. see what that does..

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it was a laptop and you ran fixboot/fixmbr, the MBR has been destroyed since laptops use a proprietary format exclusive to the manufacturer. Better look into getting recovery media from the manufacturer.

4. TexasPete

TexasPete Thread Starter

Paynesmanor,

Since it is not my computer I do not know many specs on it other than it is a Sony Vaio desktop with a Pentium 4 processor. I pretty sure that it has at least 512MB RAM and at least an 80GB hard drive.

I forgot to mention that I did try reseating the RAM before, but I placed them back in the same slots. I will try what you suggested and switch the memory around as well. Thanks!

-Cory

5. TexasPete

TexasPete Thread Starter

Elvandil,

No it is a desktop but I'm glad you told me that. The person who helped me before did not ask whether it was a Sony laptop or desktop, so that's an important piece of info.

6. TexasPete

TexasPete Thread Starter

In response to some advice given to me by member Sid6, I would also like to add that I have cleared the CMOS as well. When I turned the computer on I pressed F1 to load the default settings. Unfortunately, I am still having the same problem.

7. highspeed

highspeed

After removing the CMOS battery, the date and time resets to a different one so when you turn on the computer, make sure you enter into BIOS then set the current date and time in the BIOS, then set first boot up device to CD-ROM, Second to HDD, third could be the same HDD and if there is fourth, set it to Floppy drive.
    Or the third device could be floppy drive.
    The save settings and boot up again ok..

8. TexasPete

TexasPete Thread Starter

highspeed,

I did as you suggested and I am still having the same issue.

9. Paynesmanor

Paynesmanor

Ok since its your GF's Pc. Just throw it in the trash,, Oh wait... Unplug her hard drive from her pc, Change the jumper on it to CS or slave, And put it in your PC, and boot up your PC.. Pull ONLY what you need from the hard drive, (picture, Songs, Files, Remember things that she got online can be gotten again.. ), after you have all her data on your PC, Put her HD back in her PC, (with the jumper set to Master), and Reformat, Make it like new again... Take the oppertunity when the cover is off, to blow off all the dust you can,, Take a dry soft bristled toothbrush if you need... OH ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING YOU WILL NEED HER XP CD CODE,,, YOu can use jelly bean or something like if yall dont know what the serial is..

10. srhoades

srhoades

Hit F8 like you are going to go into safe mode, then F8 again, chose don't automatically restart on system error. This should give a blue screen. Provide us with the details.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have a floppy drive? If you do, try booting with Win98 Boot Floppy, just to see if it will boot to DOS.

When you got into the Recovery Console, was the drive seen as it should be and were you able to Dir the files on the main drive?

You could try memory tests.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

12. Laugesen

Laugesen

For what it's worth,and that may not be much as this suggestion from a non-savvy owner is obvious, you may still have success with System Restore, as I just did. I was searching for answers to a problem similar to yours: my wife's desktop, Sony Vaio, suddenly (today) locked up. She attempted to restart, but got only as far as the MS Xp welcome screen, apparently caught in a loop.
    She says she was on IE at the time, ordering something on Amazon. Months ago when I frequently used her pc under my log-on her Sony had a bad habit of locking up. I can't recall now what procedures I tried (after consulting this forum) but I stopped using her pc and the problem went away, until last week when it re-occurred and today this new problem.
    No new downloaded programs she says, only a few photos from friends, so a mystery there.
    I was able to by-pass the MS opening screen just now in safe mode (F8, at least I remembered that much), first tried the option to revert to settings that last worked--but that did not. Safe moded again and did Sys Restore to yesterday. That did not work. Restart in Safe Mode again, did Sys Restore to 10 days ago, and voila, all seems good.

My conclusion: something--A virus, mere glitch or possibly mem overload of some kind?--occurred with her pc within the last nine days.

Question for you senior techies: Is this fairly common or particular to Sony desktops? Or less likely, did we catch the same virus?

Will this Sys Restore correction hold as a permanent solution?

PS. As her Window Washer program recently expired, I just now downloaded the free version of a similar program at wisecleaner.com. It seems quite efficient--allegedly cleaned 299MB on her desktop. (It has 14 GB memory, but now after cleaning still ony some 700MB free.) Perhaps all that clutter part of her problem?

Last question: Wisecleaner.com also offers a free and a "pro" registry cleaner. Not sure that I want to fool with the registry as I don't know enough about it. Your advice?

Thanks, techies, and good luck to you, TexasPete

13. TexasPete

TexasPete Thread Starter

srhoades,

I selected Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure and it never brings up the blue screen, it just continues the loop of beep, SONY logo, Pentium logo.

Elvandil,

Unfortunately I do not have a floppy drive, but I will try the memory test(s). EDIT: I ran the Microsoft Memory Diagnostic, including the advanced mode, and it did not detect any errors, so I guess that rules out a memory problem.

Laugesen,

Thanks for the suggestion. I would defintely try System Restore if I could, but I can't get Windows to load to to try it.

14. TexasPete

TexasPete Thread Starter

Tonight I tried unplugging all USB peripherals and I also unplugged everything from the motherboard and plugged everything back in to make sure all plugs/cables were seated correctly. Still won't boot..

Any other troubleshooting suggestions?

15. tomherry2

tomherry2

please create bootable cd and use it boot for your computer

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice