1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer will not install windows - from food7

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cmfurgason, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmfurgason

cmfurgason Thread Starter

I'm aware the thread from food7 has been closed, but I wanted to add this in the event someone might have a problem with a computer that won't install WinXP as expected.

I read the thread that was joined by many people and tried all of the recommendations without success, but it triggered an idea that I followed up on with success.

I have two computers: one I built myself and then subsequently replaced the mobo in which I have two hard drives and a newer computer from Gateway. The homebuilt computer: one drive has WinXP running and the other has Win7 installed. Instead of dual-booting, I access the drives through the BIOS.

The screensaver on the drive with Win7 doesn't work. I have tried everything imaginable, but the screensaver will not work. (That would have to be another thread.)

Working on a theory that the source of the problem was an old USB 1.1 PCI card, I removed the card and then borrowed the SATA drive out of my newer computer and reformatted it and installed WinXP SP2 then Win7, but I ended up with the same results. The screensaver didn't work.

Conceding to the fact that my mobo would not run Win7's screensavers, I reformatted the drive and put it back into my newer computer again. After the format, I tried to install WinXP before doing the CUSTOM install of Win7 and kept getting a blue screen stating the drive needed drivers at the point FOOD7 described - the machine loaded the essential drivers to begin installation of WinXP, but then stalled and gave me the blue screen.

The long and short of it was that the necessary driver for the SATA hard drive wasn't included in the WinXP OS. I had an old Vista Basic OS that installed without a hitch. It had the SATA driver.

I'm glad old threads like FOOD7's hangs around, because you never know when it might just come in handy. That's primarily why I'm adding this thread - for others who have tried everything but can't get their machine running.

Good Luck guys and gals, and happy computing.(y):)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice