1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Computer will not maintain power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Austindan, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Austindan

Austindan Thread Starter

Alright, so this has been an issue on and off going on a week but as gotten extremely worse recently. I have a computer I built from the ground up. I recently thought I was experiencing power supply issues and bought a new power supply. Worked for about a day and started again.

Here's what's going on. I would have my computer running, playing a game or whatever and it would suddenly without warning either freeze or power off. This morning it's gotten worse. I would have the computer on just booting and all of the sudden it just kicks off. Nothing I can see is overheating, and my fans are running fine with my radiator for my water cooling.

What I've done thus far is cleared any dust from the tower and cleaned the radiator. I've also tried leaving it sit with no luck when booting it again. Short of rebuilding the pc I am out of options and have no clue where to go from here.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Does your computer have an onboard diagnostic at the POST level?

3. Austindan

Austindan Thread Starter

Not that I am aware of no. Is there a way to find that out.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    May be in the BIOS or a boot menu. What is the motherboard that you are using?

The reason i ask is that I suspect one of the components is failing but not the power. Maybe the video card.

5. Austindan

Austindan Thread Starter

Mother board is a gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 and the gpu is fairly new. I'm going to try and remove one of my ram sticks to see if that's the issue or not

6. Austindan

Austindan Thread Starter

Side bar, could it also be possible I didn't connect a power cable correctly. Would that cause an issue?

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    That is a possibility.

As to a diagnostic, I don't see one specifically, but there is a PC Health option in the BIOS, which should show the temperature and power levels etc.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  8. Austindan

Austindan Thread Starter

Okay, so went into my pc health screen and this is what my temp is reading at for my cpu. Which I would say may not be normal yeah?

Attached Files:

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I'm not too sure for temperatures, but the CPU may be a little high, that would be more for the Hardware group than Windows 10 specifically. Perhaps enable the CPU Temperature warning and see if that will pop up?

Also I will ask to get this move to Hardware as I believe it would make more headway there.

10. Austindan

Austindan Thread Starter

11. Shazzalive

Shazzalive

First Name:
    Sharron
    'Faulty power button? It's been known to happen before. Try replacing the power switch connections on the motherboard with the reset switch connections - 'see if that does the trick.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic. I should merge the two threads, but I think that would be even more confusing for the folks trying to help you. So, instead, I am closing this one.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice