1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not pass the 'Starting Windows' Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Speakersrock, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Speakersrock

Speakersrock Thread Starter

Hi, I have an old computer which I was trying to bring back to life, It had many problems with it an i am now down to the last one.
    I have a old, small hard drive which I installed the Windows 2000 OS on to from another computer because the CD Drive on the old computer does not work properly.
    When I put the hard drive into the old computer, It appears to start booting fine, Then when It gets to the back screen which says "Starting Windows" the status bar moves across the screen until full (up to this point It is normal), Then the computer screen goes blank, and the computer re-starts. It then just keeps going around in this circle.

Any Ideas Please?:confused:

2. norton850

norton850

Windows XP and I also believe Windows 2000 do not allow you to take a HD with the OS on it from one system and install it in another. What almost always happens is a problem of one sort or another where Windows won't load.

3. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

you cant install the OPERATING SYSTEM on one PC....and then remove the HARD DRIVE and place it in another PC.

it will most certainly cause a problem.

the WINDOWS INSTALATION must be performed on the HARD DRIVE..on the PC you intend to use.

the WINDOWS adjusts its settings and the drivers according to the current motherboard model.

it will not work the way you have done it.

you have to replace the faulty CD/DVD drive and install the OPERATING SYSTEM properly.

with your WINDOWS INSTALATION CD[if you have it]

if you dont have the money for a new CD/DVD drive[they are relatvely cheap today]...ask your friend to lend you HIS CD/DVD drive[connect it to your motherboard] so that you can install the OPERATING SYSTEM on YOUR PC...after the instalation has been performed you can return it.

4. Speakersrock

Speakersrock Thread Starter

Ok, Thanks, I found a spare CD/DVD drive and manadged to re-install the OS from that pc, Thanks for help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!