1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer will not power-on unless I unplug power cable first

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fnukyguy, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fnukyguy

fnukyguy Thread Starter

After shutting down, my computer will not power-on again unless I unplug the power-cord, then plug it back in (or use the psu on/off switch).

I have tried changing PSU, same thing happens.

My guess it has to be related to my motherboard.
    I have the latest bios. I have reset the bios.
    This happened after upgrading to a opteron 180 cpu. But I'm not sure if its related.
    I have tried disconnecting the RAM, harddrive, graphics card to no avail. Also tried refitting the power-button cables.

Computer is rock stable once its on ...It powers on fine if I switch off the PSU with the button that is located on the psu, or pull out the power-cable before turning it on.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Epox 9npa+ultra motherboard, amd opteron 180 (939), win xp sp3, 2gb ram

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Unplugging the power supply, or disconnecting from the source allows everything to reset in the power supply and on the motherboard. This situation is most always associated with a defective power supply.

Since you have changed the power supply and the condition persists then the problem almost has to be a fault in the motherboard POWER GOOD circuitry.

If it were my machine I would just get in the habit of turning off the power supply after use, and live with it. Unless the problem is something obvious such as a "bulging" or leaking capacitor, chasing a problem like this is like chasing ghosts.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice