1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not recognise soundcard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JustDaz, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've tried for hours with this and thought I should have come here like..hours ago :)

I have rented a Multimedia by Philips computer...1.5Ghz Intel 845 Chipset 256Mb ram Rage Pro 128 AGP graphics card. The thing is...this is a rented computer...so I can't open it up to check what soundcard is in because it has a sticker over the case saying if its opened it invalidates the warranty....and I have tried absolutely every way I could think of to find that out.
    I'm running windows 2000, the problem with the missing soundcard came after an upgrade from win98...and I upgraded from that because I'd killed the drivers and thought win2000 would fix it.
    In Device Manager I see two 'Other devices'
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    Multimedia Video Controller

the Rage 128 Pro graphics card is installed fine...but there is no system sound whatsoever. I've uninstalled those items...let windows redetect them to no avail. The ailing computer in question doesnt have a modem installed so I'm having to do this from my own computer and then burn files and take them over to that one.
    Has anyone got any ideas how I can get the soundcard working? Thanks
    JustDaz

2. dud

dud Guest

Is it definitely a pci sound card or is it onboard? Have you changed any bios settings? You might have accidently enabled or disabled the ac97 (or similar) onboard?
    And anyway.. if its rented aren't you covered for this sort of thing? ie repair or replacement?

:cool:

3. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi dud,
    to answer your questions honestly I don't know the answer to any of them. Apart from, that is, I haven't done anything to the BIOS. How could I check for onboard or PCI? How would I check to see if AC'97 has been disabled? All I know is that every time the computer boots, windows tries to find drivers for those two missing items and fails.
    Thanks
    JustDaz

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    An on-board sound chip will have the speaker-mic connections in the same area as the serial and parallel ports. A PCI sound card would have them exiting though one of the expansion ports on the bak of the computer.

5. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi,
    thanks for that info dustjay...i just noticed the seal was actually broken anyway so I opened the 'puter up. There's no specific card...all i see are the rage pro card and a video capture card by pinnacle...the speaker slots are directly below the mouse...well where u said the serial/parallel slots were so I'm supposing its an onboard card. Any ideas what to do next?
    Thanks,
    JustDaz

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I can find no reference to a Multimedia computer by Philips even at Philips website. Take a look at the data lable on the back of your computer and it may tell you actually made the computer. The only thing I can find from philips are peripheral devices, like mnitors cdrws and such. It may be possible that Win2000 does not have the drivers for the sound chip that is actually in your machine. I have never even booted a computer with 2000 as the operating system so I may not know what I am talking about here. If you said you upgraded from win98 you may think about going back to that OS.

7. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

hi Dustjay,
    I too found an alarming lack of info on the web...I live in Ireland
    http://www.iqon.ie/html/pc.htm
    I think its just made for the irish/european market cos I found a few sites in german too. There's no indication of a model number..the 'Multimedia by Philips' is the brand and I think the model number comes from the processor...but I can't find any data anywhere on it.
    Thanks,
    JustDaz

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I checked the link you posted and got no info there JustDaze. I guess I would try reinstalling Win98 if you have the CD to do it. Maybe from a system restore disc that came with the pc. Or just if you have a full install version of Win98, just usse that. The system restore would probably be better as they usually have the drivers for the particular system. Wish you luck

9. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi,
    sorry went to bed after reading your last reply...it was 7am here and I was bushed.
    If at all possible I'd prefer not to try the reinstall...at least until I get some more feedback. I realise you're probably right but I believe that as the installs of win98 and win2000 didnt fix the problem in the first place it would be a retrograde step...maybe I'm wrong.
    If I go into add new hardware and add the Multimedia Audio Device through 'Other Devices' and add it as an ac'97 from intel...i get the soundcard icon on my taskbar...but no sound.
    Any ideas anyone?
    Thanks,
    JustDaz

10. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have just completed a complete reformat and install of win98 and then a clean install of win2k...neither of which found either the graphics card or soundcard. I installed the rage128 pro graphics driver and that works fine. The soundcard is another matter. Its still showing up in Device Manager as Multmedia Audio Controller...or it was until I installed it as an Intel Ac'97 BA device...it no longer shows up as unknown and the audio icon is showing up in the taskbar but no sound. I have checked BIOS, AC'97 is enabled, sound controls are all set volume wise.
    Please someone help.
    THanks,
    JustDAz

11. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You might want to try going to www.motherboards.org and using their MOBO ID Tools to identify your motherboard. Once you have that, then you can find out what type of sound chip is on there and track down the latest drivers.

Good luck.

12. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi,
    thanks for the reply. I'd actually been there but given it up as a lost cause...the BIOS String ID exe that I downloaded gave me the code
    08/03/2001-i845ITE8712-IA69V0CC-00
    and I couldnt make head nor tail of it. Grabbing any selection of 4 digits I couldnt find my motherboard name :( Can you tell me what are the pertinent numbers from that string?
    Thanks,
    JustDaz
    (Edit) It also gave me my chipset list as Intel 1A30 rev 3

13. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi,
    I know that my motherboard is an Intel 845 from the BIOS string, but at the intel motherboard page there are about 15 different motherboards with that description...will I hurt the system if I just pick one and try it? Seriously.
    Thanks,
    JustDaz

14. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hi,

Try downloading this: BIOS Wizard and running it.. It should give you all the info on your board.

Let me know if the string comes out the same. Post it here if different.

15. JustDaz

JustDaz Thread Starter

Hi,
    BIOS wizard reports
    Manufacturer : Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    ID : 08/03/2001-i845ITE8712-IA69VC0CC-00
    Date : 08/03/2001
    OEM signon : 08/03/2001
    Chipset : Intel 1A30 Rev3

Intel Chip Utility reports

Detected chipset : Intel (R) 845 chipset
    Memory cntroller : 82845
    I/O controller : 82801BA (ICH2)
    Integrated Graphics : None or not detected

Intel Frequency ID Utility reports

Frequency 1.5Ghz
    Type : 0
    Family : F
    Model : 0
    Stepping : A
    Revision : 9

the BIOS code is as I posted...I don't know if any of the other stuff might prove relevant or not.
    Thanks, I appreciate your help. :)
    JustDaz

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice