1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not run

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tundra1, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tundra1

Tundra1 Thread Starter

:confused: I recently replaced my hard drive with an 80G Western Digital, I installed the drive with no problem and went to install XP Home Edition (brand new $200.00)

The first thing that happened is that I was requested to format the hard drive which I did, next it started to create the Set up files on the hard drive.

When setup reached 100% I was told that the system will reboot which it did.
    Once the system came back up it showed on my monitor that it was detecting the hard drive as primary master and the CD as the slave and for the secondary there is nothing. THE CURSOR sits there and the machine does nothing.

I have tried changing the BIOS to boot from C: CD and A: with no luck at all.

Pentium 3 500MHz, 80 gig hard drive, 128 MB ram, CD rom and integrated video.

If someone can help me I would appreciate it.

Bob

2. Tundra1

Tundra1 Thread Starter

I solved the problem..........Thanks! :D

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

so like . . what did you do to solve it?

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

128 mb ram? :D Have fun. I would surely hope it is at least DDR but on a P3 500 I bet it is sdram.

Actually you are going to need at least 256 megs to have any performance at all from that machine, and 512 would be better.

5. Tundra1

Tundra1 Thread Starter

simswr,

I got some info from Western Digital (the manufacturer of my HD) that my BIOS (AWARD V4.5) does not recognize large drives.

I had to go into BIOS and change the HD settings to trick BIOS into thinking the drive is smaller than it actually is (528MB)

Once I changed the settings in BIOS I rebooted and I was able to boot from the CDROM using the CD that came with the HD.

Once the HD was formatted and installed I rebooted and set the HD in BIOS to AUTO and now I have full access to the complete 80G HD and I installed XP and everything is working fine at this point.

Skivvywaver:

I intend on picking up more RAM in near future, actually you are right my RAM is sdram!

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, you would have to check and see what the board will take max. My sister has a machine that the max is 256 meg of ram. It is her back up running win 98 so she is fine with that. XP will run decently on 256 but you may have some lagging issues on memory intense programs.

I was having fun when I posted earlier. I like to fool around and sometimes I should wait until I know somebody better before I do it. I hope I didn't offend you, and if I did I apologize. (y)

7. Tundra1

Tundra1 Thread Starter

Skivvywaver,

You did not offend me at all in anyway..........I like someone with a sense of humor!

I know that my MOBO has four slots for memory and only one is being used with the 128MB.

Do you happen to know where I can get the best deal on PC100?

Bob

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Crucial.com is the best place to buy memory IMO. I haven't bought any from them in a long time but their memory selector is great.

Memory is one of the hardest things to buy. If it isn't right for the board it just doesn't work. You could maybe take the stick you have to a comp store and try to match it up. That way if they sell you the wrong ram you can blame it on the dumb sales guy and get an exchange without any hassles.:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice