Solved Computer will not show any signs of power.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DCUPMIDGET

Hello, sorry if I put this in the wrong section, I'm new to all of this as I've never had anything wrong with my pc. I don't really know much about them either and I've tried everything I can. I turned my pc on today, everything was working fine, I got up really fast not realizing my usb port to my phone was on the floor, it ripped out of the pc and ripped the plastic peice out of the port, after that a message came up about a usb powe surge usb required too much power or something like that, my keyboard and mouse wouldn't work, however my pc was running fine still. I hit the power button and it shut off (I didn't hold the power button, just clicked it) and now it won't turn on at all. The breakers aren't tripped, the cords are all connected tight, I tried unplugging the power supply and holding the powe button, I don't know what else to do. Thank you in advance guys, I'm really scared I lost everything :(

Hi DC, welcome to the TSG Forums.....:D

You need to determine what is really important. If the personal files on your PC are really important to you and you do not have current backups then STOP doing anything before you Copy those files to another drive.

As you are not technical you may need a techy-friend to help you. If you don't have a techy-friend and if you want to proceed then Post a reply back to this Forum and I will give you a step-by-step guide as to what you need to do.

T.

DCUPMIDGET

Hi DC, welcome to the TSG Forums.....:D

You need to determine what is really important. If the personal files on your PC are really important to you and you do not have current backups then STOP doing anything before you Copy those files to another drive.

As you are not technical you may need a techy-friend to help you. If you don't have a techy-friend and if you want to proceed then Post a reply back to this Forum and I will give you a step-by-step guide as to what you need to do.

T.
Unfortunately I have no techy friends... I am sorry. I'm just so worried because my rig wasn't cheap at all. I could tell you what everything in it is, but sadly, I have no clue. I just know it's ridiculously fast and has liquid cooling. XD

DCUPMIDGET

If you need photos of the inside of my pc I'd be more than happy to show. I believe my power supply is a 750 watt, not sure if that's important or not, just trying my best :3

DC, at this stage there is only one question that you need to answer - are the personal files on that PC very important to you?

If the answer is "Yes" then the priority is to rescue those files BEFORE you do anything else.

If the answer is "No" then we can start working on repairing your PC.

T.

DCUPMIDGET

DC, at this stage there is only one question that you need to answer - are the personal files on that PC very important to you?

If the answer is "Yes" then the priority is to rescue those files BEFORE you do anything else.

If the answer is "No" then we can start working on repairing your PC.

T.
They're nothing I can't get back. I'd rather see my pc work than anything else at the moment. So no. Let's start.

I am going offline now as my good lady is calling me for dinner. I will be back in the morning.

T.

DCUPMIDGET

Okay, just let me know when you're back on, if I don't message back it's because I am undergoing open heart surgery due to maximum stress levels exploding my chest.

Well we can't have that happening now can we.

Safety first.

Whatever you do please don't electrocute yourself - having a nickname of "Sparky" is really not a good idea. Therefore, before you open your computer or start looking around inside please disconnect from the electrical mains. Switching OFF at the wall socket does not necessarily mean that you are disconnected from the electrical supply. The only way to make sure that your system is disconnected is to unplug the system from the wall socket. And also make sure that there isn't feedback loop from some other device that is connected to the electrical mains and also to the computer. Electricity has a habit of not taking prisoners, it usually shoots first and asks questions later.

Funerals are expensive - don't incur unnecessary expenses.

1. Make sure that there is power at the wall socket. Connect something like a table lamp to the socket and check that it switches ON.

2. Check the power cable of the PC. Some mains cables have a fuse inside the plug that connects to the wall socket. Check if your cable has such a plug. If it does check the fuse. If you don't know how to check the fuse then check the cable on another device (for example a printer) that uses the same type of power cable.

3. Check the mains fuse on the PC. Not all PC's have a mains fuse. Check if your PC has one. Sometimes these fuses are easy to locate and check, but in other systems they are not that easy. Check the documentation that came with your PC and especially the technical specification and any diagrams of the system. If you are not sure then contact the manufacturer and ask. Asking is a lot less expensive than a new PC.

4. Make sure that the PC is disconnected from the main electrical supply. Open the PC box. Use your nose to sniff around inside. What you are sniffing for is the telltale smell of something that has burnt. When electrical components overheat they give off a very distinctive smell.

I am now offline until tomorrow. I will check for your reply when I log back in.

T.

DCUPMIDGET

Yeah I couldn't find a fuse, but your last step helped, I smelled what you described on the usb port. It's connected to my power button also, so maybe the circuit board that connected everything fried. Meaning the button also. The power supply didn't have that smell, and the cord works fine. Tested it on an old xbox. My tower is called a cooler master xs pc, if you know about it, maybe you know how the circuit board connecting the front usb's and the power/reset button works better than me. There's no way to disconnect the usb ports and keep the power button on. Hopefully that's the issue. Let me know what you think. Thank you man.

DCUPMIDGET

Forget what I said. The power button is in now way connected to the same board as the usb.

DCUPMIDGET

I fixed it. All I had to do was disconect my usb ports and wah lah. No Shor circuit.

DC, I am pleased that you "fixed" it..... but I am not sure what you actually fixed. Could you please explain what you did and the current status of your system. The TSG Forums are there for all of us to learn - both experienced and inexperienced members.

T.

DCUPMIDGET

Sure, no problem, so what I did was took my pc apart where my usb ports are, I found the wires that were connecting them to what I believe is the motherboard, I took my graphics card out to get to the plugs, and I unplugged the usb ports from the giant circuit board. Hopefully people will understand my very horrible lingo lol. Thankfully I am an electrician or I'd still be helpless. And thank you! If it weren't for your adice to "sniff" for that smell, I'd of gotten a new psu and still sit here with my thumb in.

DCUPMIDGET

Oh and my computer runs better than ever. Except I have no frontal usb, the 8 in the back still work. Idk if this is real, but I swear my pc even runs smoother. Lol

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online