1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not shut down until unplugged +MORE

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Network1z, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Network1z

Network1z Thread Starter

Hi guys I really need some help with this one AS MUCH AS I CAN GET, I tried to contact acer support but as for me because i have no warranty on the machine they will not do anything to help me but to tell me to look on their forums. Which i have.

Problem # 1 - The computer itself will not shut off. If i unplug it and leave it and let everything stop, I let it sit for a week i am sure there is no power in it. Now If/When i plug the computer back in *I do not have to push the power button for it to turn on it just turns on as soon as the power source is connected.

Problem # 2 - After the computer boots it will not connect to any monitor Nor will it show me anything on any monitor i dont even think the OS is booting properly in that case i would have to take it to geek squad and let them look at it since i bought ir form bestbuy. No warranty though so i would have to pay for it.

Problem # 3 - I have been looking for weeks, If anyone knows anything at all it would much appreciated, i am tired of not being able to play video games cuz of this not so fast laptop

Computer specs *From what i know and have installed*
    -8400 AMD Phenom quad core processor
    - Nvidia Gforce 9800 gtx graphics card
    -500gb sata HD
    -4gb ram

Model - Acer AM5100 for Original specs that came with the machine *Not my computer, this is the one i bought at first.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

I would first check in the Bios (if you can get into it), to see if it is set to start when power is resumed, this is for power outages but it does the same thing when you unplug the computer and plug it back in.

Try removing the CMOS battery, check it is at 3V or higher with a voltmeter and get a new one if it is lower. Removing the battery will reset the Bios to default so see what happens when you plug it back in after replacing the battery.

How did all this begin or was it just a sudden change.

Can you get it to boot into safe mode?

Does the motherboard have built in graphics, if so remove the Nvidia card and try the onboard. Failing that try another card. Getting the graphics to work will make this a lot easier to resolve.

3. Network1z

Network1z Thread Starter

I cant get into BIOS because my computer will not attach itself to the screen. I will go and pick up a new CMOS battery anyways because it has been 3 years since i bought it so mabey that is my problem

It was just a sudden change really, I turned on my PC one day and because i dont have a wreless router for it i couldnt access the internet so i just shut it off again, Only to turn it on a week later after i got my router and finding this problem.

And i cant even boot up to safe mode unless my monitors would connect It did have a build in graphics card i had kept it for the first and after that i threw it out because i didnt think i would need it anymore so it was stupidity on my part.

The computer will not boot in any shape way or form it just turns on, And i dont hear the booting sound when i turn it on like the little beep. usually my computer will make a beeb sound when it launches the OS thats how i knew nothing was wrong with it, now it doesnt mak any sounds. All of my fans turn on and it seems like everything is booting up but just nothing happens.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

This is not looking too good, without any graphics there isn't much that can be done.

When I asked if the PC had built in graphics I meant graphics that are integrated into the motherboard. Is there another connection that the monitor will plug into on the back of the PC. If there isn't then you will need to borrow another graphics card to see if that will give a video output to the monitor. If that does not work then you could be looking at a faulty motherboard or PSU.

The lack of a beep when you turn it on is a worry, try removing all the RAM and then switch it on, it should give several beeps without RAM fitted. While you have the RAM out try booting with only one stick and then swap them round and try again.

5. Network1z

Network1z Thread Starter

No beeps when i remove all of my ram tried connecting them in one by one and trying and still nothing. I guess i will have to get a new computer or something then. There are 4 hook ups i can attach my monitor to, I need a special connector for one from vga to 4 point, and then i have the stock vga that came on the PC itself, The two stock ones don't function anymore, and the ones on my graphics card aren't either. I will see if someone has a video card i can use but if it doesn't work i will have to save up and buy a better computer, Or just get a new mother board and all other pieces need. Thank you for your help mark i appreciate it,

If you can think of anything else in the meantime feel free to post and i will reply back with my findings

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

The only other thing that may be worth a try is if you can borrow a PSU out of another PC or start by testing all the outputs from your PSU to make sure it is providing the correct voltage. The PSU should have a colour code written on it for all the wires and state what all the voltages should be.

Have a close look at the motherboard and see if you can spot any burned or cracked components. In particular look for capacitors, they are about 1/4" round and about 1/2" high, that have a swollen top, they should be completely flat.

Another test you could try is to disconnect all but essential components from the motherboard so all you have connected is the mobo, PSU, hard drive and one stick of RAM. Plug the monitor into the onboard graphics and remove all cards from the mobo. Disconnect all external components, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. Then see if it will boot and produce a video output.

A replacement motherboard should not be very expensive and if selected carefully you will be able to use all the other existing components, Ram, hard drive, CPU, etc.

Need any further help then please ask.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice