1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Will Not Shut Down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HaroRider, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

Hey all, I am not 100% sure this is a Windows 7 issue however my computer will not shut down. When I go to "shut down" the computer goes to shut down and the screen turns black. The computer itself does not shut however. (Fans and lights stay running) Any idea on how to remedy this issue? I been manual shutting down the computer with the button. (Pretty sure Im crashing the thing each time) I don't want to hurt the ancient computer, lol can anyone assist me please?

Thanks, Thomas

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    How long do you wait after the screen goes black before manually shutting it off? My work desktop running Windows 8.1 Professional has recently taken over four minutes to shut off after the monitor loses video. I will see the HD access light blink during that time.

Do you get any "Windows did not shut down properly ..." warnings when you turn it back on?

3. HaroRider

HaroRider Thread Starter

I have waited a long time. Over 30 minutes, I have forgotten at times and walked away and come back and still see it on. Yes, when I manually shut it down I do sometimes get the message saying it did not correctly shut down.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Thank you for the time information.

I am wondering if any App or Windows Service is preventing the full shutdown. Try starting Windows in Safe mode and then shut down after Windows is done with its start-up.

If the computer shuts down in a timely manner in Safe mode, Start it up normally, don't manually start any Apps and then try to shut down.

5. britekguy

britekguy

It also wouldn't hurt to run an SFC /SCANNOW in an elevated command prompt in case there might be some corruption in a system file that's causing this.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Also before you shut down, open task manager to see what is running. Something in there might be hanging the shutdown process.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice