1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not start after unplugging USB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ashraj12, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashraj12

ashraj12 Thread Starter

Yesterday, I was on my computer, when I decided to unplug a USB connection to my printer off from a USB port at the top of my PC. Upon doing so, my monitor went blank, and I think I heard the fan levels increase. My keyboard lit up all of the lights, which only ever happens while the computer is booting up.

I waited for a while for the display to return, but nothing happened, so I attempted to manually shut it off by holding the power button down. Nothing happened. I managed to unplug the cord, to turn off the PC. Upon plugging it back in, the PC would not start.

So far, I have concluded that, the power socket and the cable both are fine. The GPU LED light is also not on. I checked the connections to the motherboard from the power supply and they seemed all in place. I also ran the 'paperclip' test on the Power Supply, which worked. I moved the RAM sticks to different slots, and even took out the memory, but didn't hear any sounds or notice any power.

Interestingly, the LED power light on the case seems to occasionally work. Hoping that the issue is not the motherboard.

SPECS:
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 G55 SLI
    POWER SUPPLY
    Cosair CX650

All help is appreciated. Thanks

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    If your mobo didn't create beeps when memory was removed, then ur mobo is bad. It's possible it was shorted out somehow when the USB was removed?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1167456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice