Computer will not start at all

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aewarnick

Today I encountered a serious problem. My computer was built about a year ago and all the parts are new.

A while back I was having problems with the computer turning off. I think it was programs I was using causing the blue screen of death. When it came back up, it would lock, stay off for about 15 seconds and then start (15 seconds is unusual). When it came back up it would go directly to the bios and say that it froze for an incorrect cpu fan speed. The speed was 2800. I don't know what the cpu fan speed is supposed to be. I fixed that by cleaning the fan and heat sync and then putting it back in.

Todays problem is related but much much worse. I was doing some video editing with TMPGEnc and the computer froze. I turned it off and it acted just as before with the cpu fan stuff. I cleaned it without taking it out and then turned the computer back on. It got to the windows screen and then locked up. I turned it off and then on again after cleaning it a little more and this time was real wierd! About 20 RANDOM characters were printed on the screen and it locked. I turned it off and on again and this time, it never gives any signal at all to the monitor and just runs forever.

What could the problem be? I even uplugged it and removed the cmos battery for about 30 seconds. I am thinking it is a problem with the hardware monitor hardware. Can I uplug it somehow? Or do you think it may be something more serious?

have you ever noticed the processsor temp. if it gets too hot some motherboards will shut the computer down till it cools other then that check the grounding

aewarnick

The processor temp is fine: 80 or below. What do you mean by checking the ground? The computer turns on and runs, it just doesn't get to dos.

yeah 80 is hot that is 175 degrees f

found at another website

Well I have an "Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.20E GHz PGA-478" and it idles
@ 50 to 60°C so if their max is at 70°C that doesn't leave much gap :(
I cant even run any applications or any games, due to it going over 70°C :(
If its a design flaw as was said in another post, then Intel shouldn't of
released it, or at least say "This Processor may get Hot" on the box.

dual core. when you removed the heatsink the first time did you apply something like artic silver to make the connection and transfer heat better or did you just stick it on? if you didn't apply anything go get some and follow the instructions on how to apply it.

aewarnick

I had let it cool down for about an hour and when I started it again the temp was 75 and it still acted the same; didn't get to startup at all.

Are there any other possobilities for this kind of behaviour?

P-4 should run between 38 degree Celsius = 100.4 degree Fahrenheit & 67 degree Celsius = 152.6 degree Fahrenheit

Yours is running way too hot. Find out why before you ruin your processor.

aewarnick

ARE YOU SERIOUS!! When it was brand new it ran that hot! I'm calling the company who sold it to me. Maybe the processor is ruined and that is why it isn't working. When I called before and told them the temp, they said pentium processors are supposed to run hot. I guess they lied.

Use Environment Speculative Stress Condition 7 year life expectation
1500 cycles with a mean ΔT = 40°C
10 year life expectation 2150 cycles with a mean ΔT = 40°C

Specs for a Socket 478

pentiums underclock themselves if they get too hot. so everything will get really slow, but theoretically the cpu should still be good. If it was a bad cpu the computer would not start at all, at least i think, never had a bad cpu before. Go get some arctic silver 5 and follow the instructions to apply it to the back of the heatsink and then put the heatsink back on. see if your computer boots then.

aewarnick

We are all confused. When I said 80 I meant 80f not 80c. So it should be fine then, correct?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online