1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not start/boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stowie, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stowie

Stowie Thread Starter

I am posting this on my laptop as my main computer will not start at all.
    I noticed it started freezing more regularly recently, but two days ago when I switched it on, the hard drive light comes on permanently, and it beeps at me. This is as far as I get with it.
    I have tried to put boot up floppy in floppy drive, but it does not access the floppy drive.
    Could this be virus related??
    Any suggestions as to problem solving, cos if I send it back to manufacturers, it will probably be gone for about 3 months and will cost a packet.

Some details on system
    Motherboard - Tyan S1854 Trinity 400
    RAM - 128MB
    Hard drive - 30GB
    Sound card - Creative Platingham Live drive II
    Video card - Nvidia geoforce 3D prophet
    DVD Rom drive
    Plextor CD writer

Thanks for cooperation
    Stowie

2. brianF

brianF

Pull the cover off, remove everything except the processor, one stick of memory, vid card, try to boot with a floppy.

Check that the power supply cables are attached firmly
    Check that the cpu fan is spinning up when you hit the start button

Reseat the cpu, memory, and vid card.

If it boots, just start adding one thing at a time back in and see if the problem reoccurs with a certain piece of hardware.

3. Stowie

Stowie Thread Starter

Brian,
    Thanks for prompt reply.
    I took cover off (again) and checked connections. I then thought I would try just one more time to boot from floppy, and whoa! she booted up.
    I am currently wiating for scandisk to finish before full installation of win98 SE

Will keep you posted shortly if all goes well. It makes you wonder what it could have been eh? Other than an intermittent fault with one of the cables.

Stowie

4. Stowie

Stowie Thread Starter

Brian,
    Booted up successfully. Shut down and rebooted again just to prove it would work more than once. All ok.

However, I tried re-starting in MSDOS mode, and after it detects my two cd drives, it just give a blinking cursor, but I cannot type anything. This is a problem I noticed just before the big CRASH!

Any suggestions or thoughts on this??

Stowie

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice