1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not start up any longer....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Diego Wolfwood, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diego Wolfwood

Diego Wolfwood Thread Starter

When I start up my computer all I get is fuzzy blocks of pixelated color. I've had problems with this before, but nothing this bad. Sometimes when I game for awhile the computer will crash and colored pixels will appear on the screen. After this, the computer would usually start up again, only to crash again within 10 minutes. After letting it cool down for awhile it would work again.

This time I get the SAME blocks of pixelated color no matter what, and it's been around 3 days since it happened. I've tried many things. I cleaned it all out with compressed air, I unplugged the video card and plugged it back in, unplugged the motherboard power and plugged it back in, but I am afraid something has failed this time, permanently. I need to know WHAT failed, so I can replace the part. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be, and what part it is?

2. Compiler

Compiler

You don't have anything in your computer profile.

You have not posted anything about your computer.

A guess... your video card is bad. Replace it.

3. Diego Wolfwood

Thank you. I got this video card a while ago, and it was giving me minor problems before, so I figured it was something else (considering that it was the newest thing in the computer at the time). Stuck an old Radeon 9550 in there and boom. Works. Was worried it might have been the power supply, which is pretty ancient.

4. Compiler

Compiler

Well, it could still be the PSU... if its not powerful enough to deliver the power requirements to the video card. We don't know what video card you're having trouble with... or your power supply or mobo/cpu type.

The 9550 is an AGP card and you'll have a limited amount of choices today for replacement. An ATI2400 may be a good choice... depending on yor needs.

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Pixelated color blocks on the screen usually means a bad GPU or RAM on the video card.

What are your system specs? Maybe it's time for an upgrade. :)

6. Diego Wolfwood

Hmm... okay, thanks. I'll look into that too.

I can't get my specs because right when the 9550 worked, the hard drive died. I never had my own computer, so when I moved in with my friend, he just gave me all his old parts..... the hard drive is around 8 years old, so it's starting to get bad sectors and died not long after I put the weaker video card in.

Once I get the new hard drive, it's over twice as big as the previous two hard drives combined. If I switch it from a 2HD system to a 1HD system, do you think that's enough extra power freed up to prevent the video card from locking up again? Do you think the video card even works again, or is it possibly permanently damaged from the power issues?

7. Compiler

Compiler

Well, it could still be the PSU... if its not powerful enough to deliver the power requirements to the video card. We don't know what video card you're having trouble with... or your power supply or mobo/cpu type.

The info regarding your PSU is on the PSU itself.... nobody can answer your question. Sounds like the whole system is problematic.

8. Diego Wolfwood

Computer up and running! I installed windows on my secondary hard drive and the computer is now working. I still have the Radeon 9550 installed, and for now it's working fine for me. In a matter of a week or two I'll do some testing to try and determine if the other video card is broken or not. On the video card itself is a sticker that says "X1600 Pro ADV 512M DDR2 AGP VGA/TVO/DVI-I"

As far as the power supply goes, I don't know how to get any information on it. Perhaps there is a sticker on it somewhere? I'd like to find out if the problem was the video card or if it's the power supply, hopefully I'll be able to figure out the power supply information and you guys can let me know.

I'm just glad things are working in the meantime :p

*EDIT* I used PC Wizard to get my system specs and put them in my profile.

*EDIT* Alright, I got the info for my power supply, here it is:

Power Man Model FSP300-60GT
    AC Input: 100-120/200-240V~, 9/5A, 60/50Hz
    DC Output: 300W
    Fuse Rating: 6.3A, 250V~

9. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

OK, well it looks like the power supply could be your problem with the new video card.

Just did a quick search on google and found a Diamond X1600 Pro card (as an example) has a minimum required power supply of 420watts. Your current one only has a max of 300w.

Upgrading the power supply to a quality unit with at least 500w seems worth a try.
    (look for a good brand like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Thermaltake, etc.)

10. Diego Wolfwood

Thank you, I'll take your advice.

Another question, I'd like to get one that will work with my current computer, but I'd also like it to work with modern parts because I'll likely need to upgrade some other things soon as well. Does it really matter with power supplies?

*EDIT*

This is what I'm looking at so far (I could use the case too, I'll go for the combo) I'm willing to go up to about $150 for a a power supply + case, if anyone has any reccomendations, please, be my guest. I could use the help.

*EDIT* Found a cheaper, more promising combo.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024

11. Diego Wolfwood

Bump.

I think I'm going to go with that one though.

12. Compiler

Compiler

That is a fine case and has a quality PSU - (not the best, but better than most). Its a fairly quiet system with an air-filter.

But yeah, the PowerMan / PowerMax / RaidMax PSUs are junk... Such PSUs can destory parts.

13. Diego Wolfwood

Alright thank you, I'm going to get it. Thank you all for your help, it was appreciated.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice