1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer will not start up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whoten, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whoten

whoten Thread Starter

I turned my computer off last night before leaving work and now it will not turn on. I made sure everything was pluged in and tried to plug the computer into another outlet but still nothing. I cannot think of anything I did differently yesterday to cause a problem. Any idea's?
    thanks
    whoten

2. lehatche

lehatche

Whoten, if you are sure that it is not the wall plugs or the power cables themselves. You have just experienced a Power Supply Failure. You will need to have this replaced.

3. whoten

whoten Thread Starter

thanks for the help I will replace it
    whoten

4. whoten

whoten Thread Starter

Lehatche,
    Just replaced it with a power supply from a parts computer that was just laying around work and it is now working fine. The old power supply had an extra plug going to the m. board with smaller diameter wires that were black/green/black. The new power supply didnt have that extra wire. Any ideas on what the extra wires do?
    Thanks again
    Whoten

5. lehatche

lehatche

Whoten, I am not 100% sure but my guess is that it is a control cable for power management or BIOS monitoring. The fact of not having this cable should not affect the operation of the computer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice