1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer will not start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aahntee, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aahntee

aahntee Thread Starter

i have a compaq presario f750US running vista. when i press the power button the light comes on for a second then shuts down. this happens w/it plugged in and using just battery. a friend checked it out and said it was the hard drive. i've checked the prices and intend on buying one. they have a hard drive and also an internal hard drive. i haven't a clue....does it sound like the hard drive? if so what do i buy?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    It sounds more like a problem with the power supply than the hard drive.i would have that checked out first.

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I would tend to agree with Sue.

Doesn't sound like a HDD problem, if it was the HDD it would more than likely start up and and then you would get an error indicating a missing boot device or something similar. Sounds like there is a problem with the machine getting power.

Have you tried it plugged in but with the battery removed?
    Do you get the normal charging indication when you have it plugged in? i.e. charging / power lights if it has them?

Not trying to insult your intelligence, but have you tried replacing the fuse in the plug for the power supply? Could be a simple case of that fuse has gone adn the battery is dead. If you are getting power / charging indicator lights when it is plugged in then this probably isn't the problem.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the Compaq Presario F750US laptop.

You might want to add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

Read here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I doubt that the hard drive is causing your problem however it is very easy to find out. Simply pull the drive out and pw ON the system. If it does the same thing with the drive removed, you know the drive is not causing your issue.

6. aahntee

aahntee Thread Starter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice