1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer WILL NOT START

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by heyimbrendan, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heyimbrendan

heyimbrendan Thread Starter

ok so here is my story...bear with me...also know now that you are the only hope for a poor young college boy....
    Yesterday morning my computer shutdown....no warning just...powerless...having this happen before and everything be fine i didn't worry just headed out to school...when i returned home i found the computer trying to start up....then came to the "safe mode....last good settings....etc" screen...when one was chosen it would start to go....then shut back off....
    so i interupted...decided to do the safe restore keeping my files....and when that was done...i restarted and i received this error
    NTLDR is compressed
    so i looked around and got some disk offline to copy the file from my buddies computer...after doing this...
    it started to start up...then a new error
    <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt
    so i did another safe restore....and now...i get the ntldr message....or the hal.dll message (if i do the boot disk again) and there is no way i can get back to the restore options to wipe the hard drive...all i get is this....
    the comp starts as though its ok...then right before windows pops up i get
    windows message
    the system is not fully installed, please run set up again.

and thats where i am...to make things simpler i'll say this
    i'm running on XP (or was running)
    the computer purchased at best buy DID NOT come with an XP disc or cd

please help me
    Brendan

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

It sounds like that hard drive is failing . . if you can open it up to see what brand it is, you can go to the manufacturers website and download diagnostics to confirm.

wrs

3. heyimbrendan

heyimbrendan Thread Starter

so thats it? no other possibilities?

4. southernlady

southernlady

How old is the computer? It might help us if you give us more info on the specifications of the hardware. It could be a problem elsewhere besides the hard drive but we don't know. So start with listing all your hardware if you don't mind, ok? Liz

5. natcom

natcom

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!