1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer will not start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neopetrie, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neopetrie

neopetrie Thread Starter

Hello,

I had been having a lot of problems upgrading my current computer. Now, everything is brand new except for the two old hard drives I am using. The computer does not start. It turns on, but I do not hear the usual clicks and beeps telling me it has started, I do not get the little green light on, and I do not get any visual display. What could be wrong, and how could I fix it? thank you,

Peter

2. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

Does the fan to the CPU spin?

The first thing to check is the memory. Is the "bank one" slot utilized? Are the memory sticks firmly seated?

Post back.

3. neopetrie

neopetrie Thread Starter

Yes, I have checked the RAM and the fan is working.

4. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

I'm assuming you've replaced everything inside your computer case. Have you double checked that all the Hard drive/video/port wires are firmly in place and checked with the manual that they are the correct way round?.

The slightest incorrect wiring can cause your system not to boot at all.

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Changing everything in your computer except for the hard drive is not called upgrading, it's called replacing. Basically, you have a new computer with an old hard drive.

Did you build this new system yourself? If so, check all the connections to make sure they're correct and seated tightly. If it still doesn't work, call someone who has built computers before to come over and take a look at things. If you don't know anyone, take the computer to a technician.

6. Spu

Spu

Have you tried rotating your hard drive cables? If the cables aren't the ones with the little lugs on so you can't put them in the wrong way, this will probably be the problem (although, covering my back, it might not definantly be the problem:) ).

Also, if you put the computer together, were you a silly boy and didn't use an anti-static band or mat? If you didnt you may have buggered your processer, ram, etc, etc, etc, etc, this may also cause those problems.

Are you hearing any bleeps from the computer? If you have a way of finding out, the bleep pattern relates to a certain problem (i think), this might be an idea if all else fails.

7. john_waldrum

john_waldrum

You say that everything is new except the hard drives? Correct?
    What type of system are we talking about? motherboard, processor, ram, info please!

8. neopetrie

neopetrie Thread Starter

I have a AMD 700, 512 RAM, 3 hard drives.... 400 Watt Power supply, DVD, chaintech motherboard, GeForce 64RAM video card.

I am getting no beeps whatsoever when I turn on my computer

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Take out any add in cards except for the video card. Only connect one hard drive with the operating system on it, forget about the DVD drive for now.

If you have more than one ram chip, pull the others, reseat the cpu and video card. If the video card isn't AGP, try another slot.

10. john_waldrum

john_waldrum

A friend of mine had the same problem and it turned out that his amd Athlon 850 processor had not seated properly with the two mounts that connect to the motherboard. Remove those and reseat the processor if that works then you know what the problem is.:D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice