1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not turn off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Astrogiants, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Astrogiants

Astrogiants Thread Starter

Hi, I have done a heap of research on many, many sites in an attempt to get through this problem. I am hoping someone here can help me with my problem:
    I have a Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard. I have a ThermalTake TR2-550 power supply. I run Windows XP with all updates. I won't go into what else I have in this unit, only because I don't think the other items are causing my problem, but if you need the other details please let me know.

I have had this computer which I built myself just over a year ago. I have only medium skills with computers so go easy on me. I do a format about every six to 8 months just because I can and I like to clean it all out.

Two weeks ago I did my usual format and reloaded xp. All went well and got everything up and running again – I may be wrong but I don’t think this problem is related to the format as I have done this many time before with no problems. Suddenly two days ago, I went to shut down windows xp and all went as normal - except when windows shut down, I noticed that the power light and hdd lights stays fully on and also the fans inside keep running - never happened before.

The only way to get this computer to stop completely is to unplug the power supply (or flick it's switch). So I did this, and the turned it back on. The same lights and fans kick in again and it just sits there like this. So I then press the power switch and then I am told that CMOS checksum bad, overclocking failed and CMOS Date and time are not set. Once I set time etc and reset to default setting, windows boots up and all is great...........until I shut down again and same lights and fans keep going until I unplug or flick its switch at the back.

Bear in mind, windows xp keeps running perfectly through all this, and no problems like smelly/burnt power supply, no obvious sight problems on motherboard, no hard drive problems etc.

One thing I instantly though was the CMOS battery being dead. Changed it for a new one and tested old one - both great. CMOS batter is not the problem.

I have done as per Asus manual and moved the CMOS Jumper to reset bios - this still does not fix the problem.

I have defragged all drives as some help sites state - this is not the problem.

I have no new devices added.

I have unplugged all usb items as some help sites state (as they talk about a 5v feed coming back in from an external powered device) - this is not the problem.

I am no longer getting the time/date fault at startup. If I shutdown xp, and then restart the computer by pushing the power button I get no errors (bear in mind the lights and fans stay on during this shut down) at startup. If I go to shut down again (same thing happens with lights and fans etc) and then turn off power supply switch I get the over clocking failed message when I restart. I have never overclocked this computer.

I then went to Asus web site, downloaded latest BIOS and updated - all went well but this did not fix my problem.

Many web sites talk about the fact that I may have a POWERSUPPLY or MOTHERBOARD problem and this is why the lights and fans keep running.

If you think one of these may be my problem, how do I eliminate one or the other. I do not have a spare power supply - this would be the easiest thing to change and eliminate I know - is there a way to test it before I buy a new one - only to find out that was not to problem.

Or is there a way to know if it is the motherboard.

OR is it another problem. I have spent 2 days on this now and wearing a bit thin with me. I appreciate any words of wisdom out there.

Thanks very much.

2. Rabies229

Rabies229

Did you check to see if your front panel lights were pinned correctly? Most DIY computers have that mistake in common :). Also, check to make sure your PSU cables are all pinned correctly on the Motherboard and none of them are creating a bridge :).

3. Astrogiants

Rabies, thanks for the reply. Yes, all is pinned correctly and has been working for over a e years. But I did check yesterday and all is still good. I had read about shorts etc and this does not seem to be my problem.

4. Rabies229

Rabies229

are your fans directly connected to the PSU? or does it pass through the motherboard first?

5. bigbear

bigbear

PSU, have you got another you can try?
    I have come up against this problem twice and both times it was the PSU

6. Astrogiants

Rabies, in relation to your question, CPU fan is on the board as normal and is one of the fans staying on. The others are through the power supply which are also staying on.

Bigbear, I don't have another psu, which is a real shame as I know that this would eliminate one problem immediately for me. If it was the power supply, I know I have read that I would get the lights and fans staying on problem, BUT would I also be getting the bios issues that I seem to be now getting as well. Did all I describe happen to you when you had your problems, or only the lights and fans staying on issue.

7. SB305

SB305

You must have done this judging by how comprehensively you've checked everything else but, just in case, what voltage readings are you getting in BIOS?

8. Astrogiants

SB305, no I have not checked the voltage reading in the BIOS - can you please give me some hints on how to do this and what the reading should be.

ALSO, I shut the computer down last night by unplugging the power supply and when I turned it on again this morning, I did not get the overclocking error message, BUT I did have to set the time and date again????? Just for info if this helps to solve my problem.

Cheers

9. SB305

SB305

In BIOS there's usually a section called PC Health Status or similar. You enter BIOS usually by pressing, or tapping repeatedly, Delete or F2 or it may be another key in your case, immediately on startup.
    Bearing in mind the nature of your problem, even this may prove difficult.
    If you can get in, you should be able to find relevant voltages and temperatures.
    You can also Google a free download of a program called Everest Home which will present similar readings. If they differ from the ones shown in BIOS, the BIOS figures are likely to be the more accurate. You can find several free programs like Everest.
    The whole point of this is that your power supply voltages should not differ by more than 10% from their nominal values.
    Also, check the Power Management Setup.
    If you can get into BIOS, it's well worth comparing every setting with the guidance given in the, usually comprehensive, BIOS section of your motherboard manual.
    You'll probably also find a "Fail-Safe Defaults" setting which will be worth trying.
    Good luck! (y)

10. Astrogiants

Thanks SB305. Mate, I thought you meant to do a physical check across some connection with a multi meter on the board. My mistake.......

In any case, yes I have no problems with getting into the bios at this time. I will have a look and compare. If they are the same, what is you next time. Am I still looking at the power supply as per bigbears suggestion.

If they are incorrect, also which is your suggestion. Cheers

11. Astrogiants

SB305, yet just checked them all (voltages I mean). All values are good and no problems there.

Let me know if you come up with any other thoughts.

Cheers

12. SB305

SB305

Well, bigbear's got a strong argument if he's seen this unusual problem and fixed it twice with a replacement PSU.
    On the other hand, those Shuttles are enthusiasts' rigs and you'd expect them to come with a good quality and more than adequate PSU. Checking the voltage is the simplest basic confirmatory test if you don't have a spare.
    As you've already observed, Shuttles are packed tight inside (even though you've still got space for a third HDD). Frustrating as it is, I'd be inclined to check every seating, cable and connection for a possible short.

13. Astrogiants

Thanks again SB305. I will take your advice and spend tomorrow having a really good look over everything and see how I go. I am hoping that bigbear will get back to me on the point about loosing time/date (when the PSU is unplugged) and having the light's/fans issue on that I am having - if both of these things happened when he had this issue. Unlucky bugger he is - having the same thing happen to him twice. I have neve had a PSU fail in the last 13 years I have owned a computer. In any case, thanks mate.

14. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

I have seen in rare cases where the RAM causes power down or up issues. If you have more than one stick of ram try the process of elimination....as far astesting the PSU there are tester made for that, 40 dollars or so.

15. Astrogiants

Thanks pcrepair guy. I will do the ram checks tomorrow as well, when I check all the points etc. I do have 2 sticks, so this will be easy for me to do. I will let you know how I go tomorrow.
    Cheers

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/658176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice