1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brandon8483, Jun 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brandon8483

Brandon8483 Thread Starter

The light on the front and lights inside are on, but when I press the power button nothing happens. No fans are on or anything. I hear like a small clicking sound other than hitting the power button but that is it. But that only happens the first time I try. I have let it sit unplugged for well over an hour and plugged it back in with same outcome. I believe it’s the PSU but looking for verification.

2. Brandon8483

Correction. Only one light on the motherboard turns on. A red one in the bottom right of it as well as the red light on the front next to the power button. Literally that is it.

3. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It's possible the motherboard is damaged; however, that's not a 100% certainty. Check the connections to/from the motherboard and ensure they're all connected properly. Make sure the power is disconnected from the PC and then hold in the power button for 1 minute to ensure the capacitors have discharged. Remove all cards, e.g. video card, and remove the RAM DIMMs. Once you've done that, plug back in the power and then try turning on the PC. Are there any beeps at all? If it's silent and you're still seeing that red light on the motherboard, I'm guessing it's damaged.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The best way to test a pw supply, is to swap in a known good unit. Note you do not have to fully install the test unit; simply connect atx, aux, and video pw [if used] Hit the ON button and see if the system will POST. If it does, shutdown and fully install the test pw supply OR install a new one. If the motherboard will not POST in the above config, then you will need to swap parts with known good units until you find the failed part.

There are pw supply testers however [IMO] they are next to useless.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What make and model is the PC ?

6. Brandon8483

When I hit the power button I hear a click in the power supply, it just won’t power up. Wouldn’t that suggest that the motherboard isn’t bad since the power supply is registering that the power button is being pushed?

7. Brandon8483

I built it myself about 6 years ago

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then swapping in a test pw supply should be very simple. That is the quickest way to test whether or not your pw supply has failed.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If you don't have a test power supply the red light on the motherboard should tell us something, what motherboard is it ?

Also if the red light on the case is for the hard drive activity try disconnecting the hard drive power cable then see if the PC powers up.

10. Brandon8483

I’m not sure what motherboard it is. But here is a picture of it. And no I do not have a test pw supply.

11. Brandon8483

I also disconnected the HD and the red light still stayed on both in the front of the tower and on the motherboard

Attached Files:

12. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

The CPU heatsink looks clogged with a thick layer of dust, as does the exhaust fan. It's possible it overheated, but I cannot say for sure. As others have suggested, see if you can test the power supply unit in another PC to ensure that still works, and then we can try troubleshooting other components.

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    On the photo I can make out A785GM-M I think, can you confirm that and see if there are any more characters ?

I would consider cleaning the Cpu fan & heatsink, it does look very clogged up. If the fan can't spin that could be stopping the PC from powering up.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice