1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will not turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigggj24, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigggj24

bigggj24 Thread Starter

So when I got home from work the other day my computer was turned off. (it is always on) I went to turn it back on and it will not turn on. Well it turns on in the sense that the lights come on and the fan in the back starts up but that only lasts for about 3 seconds then it shuts off again. After that it just keeps trying to start up but it's the same thing only for about 3 seconds. Does anyone know what the cause of this might be?

2. Bigfella

Bigfella

Well I have a rough idea what the causes could be but you will have to give me a little more information. For instance does your computer make a beeping sound, what mother board do you have? have you ever cleaned the dust out of your pc. Have you recently made any hardware changes. Tell me anything you think might be usefull. It may even be theat the switch is stuck for All I can tall from what you have told me.

so give me the information requested and I shall resolve your problem.

3. bigggj24

bigggj24 Thread Starter

No it does not beep. I cleaned the dust out of it last night before trying to get it to run again. That didn't help. I have not made any hardware changes to it since it was purchased. Unfortunately I am unsure of what kind of motherboard I have. As far as I can tell The button is not sticking. Also it will attempt to start multiple times but after like the 4th or 5th time it stops and hitting the power button on the front does nothing but you can literally hear the power running through the power supply.

4. warlord

warlord

usually a problem like this is cause by poweroutages or brownouts.
    i have 2 suggestions

1. open up the case and unplug everything, all the cables all the memory and pci slots and plug them all back in and see if it works after that. if not

2. your gonna have to troubleshoot every piece in there. if you have the parts avalible, go thru and replace everything one at a time. like replace the processor with another and try it. if no the put the old one back and try the next thing (memory, hdd, video card, power supply, then motherboard). its a very tedius task but it is very foolproof but hopefully it wont be nessessary.

if option 2 isnt an option for you then your gonna have to take it to a shop.

ive had this happen to me twice and both times it was my hard drive that died.

but for you im guessing its the power supply even tho you can hear it it may be shot

5. bigggj24

bigggj24 Thread Starter

This computer was purchased 2 years ago and I have a 3 year warranty on it. (which I've just found) So I guess I can make them fix it.

6. warlord

warlord

well there you go then that is the better option.
    however if you have anything on your hard drive that you want to keep i would recomend making a copy of it before shipping it out. because chances are your not gonna get that data back

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice