1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will only boot to safemode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Doomsday123, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doomsday123

Doomsday123 Thread Starter

My dad has windows 98 se on his computer nd for some reason it wont boot normally. It only boots to safemode. when I try to boot it in normal mode it freezes on the windows 98 screen. Just upgraded the memory. I put a stick of 256 in and it only recognizes 128 of it but that isnt a problem. I think the bios is too old so i am going to take that back and get some 128 sticks. I dont think that the memory would stop it from booting to normal. I planned to put norton antivirus on the computer but this happend before I had a chance to. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If you have a Gb of RAM wut would you need more for? Windows 98 SE might not do well with anything over 512 Mb RAM and/or the stick wasn't seated fully is why you have no normal boot.

3. Doomsday123

no no no heh. this is my dads computer. it only had 64mb of ram but it only says 60mb lol. i put a 256 and it says i have 188 total. that is how i know it is recognizing 128. my computer has a gig :)

4. Doomsday123

Well, I installed win98 over the first install and now it boots but now it is acting hella weird. when i try to set it to 800x600 and high 16 bit color and restart it just goes to a black screen with a line blinking like it wants me to type something in right after it says Windows is Shutting Down. Please help.

5. mobo

mobo

Try updating the drivers for video and chipset..

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

When you had 64 Mb RAM in it and Windows only reported 60 Mb that was because the on-board graphics share system RAM and so used 4 Mb to run the video. It was working correctly. The old saying is, "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Either the 256 Mb Stick is not the right one for that mainboard, it's bad or if you have one stick in it that RAM has to be in the number 1 slot only, it won't work right in the higher slots even if there are 6 slots. Plus on some computers it has to be matched pairs, RAM size, etc. Consult the mainboard users manual or contact the maker for details.

What's Windows report if there's one 128 Mb RAM chip in the number 1 Memory slot?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice