1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will only start in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ant2012, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ant2012

ant2012 Thread Starter

My computer will only start in safe mode. When booting normally, the computer freezes at login. Any ideas?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Program or driver likely. Was any just installed or updated?

3. ant2012

ant2012 Thread Starter

Last program installed was Carbonite about a week ago.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You've tried 'last good configuration' and/or restoring to a day or two ago?

5. ant2012

ant2012 Thread Starter

Yes. But I am going to restore a little further back. Maybe a week. I will let you know if it works.

Do you think it just a software issue and not the motherboard? I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware vs software problem.

I am currently backing up all my files to an external hard drive, just in case the issues get worse.

6. ant2012

ant2012 Thread Starter

Restored computer to a point of over a week ago. Same issue. Freezes at login. Still works in safe mode. Don't know what to do now????

7. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    That issue could be from a start-up item, whether it be a good program which has problems, or possible malware, (virus, worms and spyware) can add them selves to start up with normal boot. In the 7 control panel there is access to start up programs so you can review that list and uncheck a bad one ? You may be able to run a online virus scan from in safe mode with network. Such as that Trend Micro site.

8. ant2012

ant2012 Thread Starter

I have checked the start-up and removed any unnecessary programs or programs that I didn't recognize. Nothing looked foreign to me.

I have run the Trend Micro software and it did not find any issues.

Have rebooted numerous times. Still same issue. Computer freezes as soon as the login starts. Can't use keyboard, mouse, etc.

One thing I forgot to mention last time is that after I am in Safe Mode and connect to the internet (Clear) a message comes up "Corruption in Feature Manager" and "Corruption in Feature Manager Settings." Not sure if this issue is related or not.

Computer still works fine in Safe Mode. Runs smooth.

Thanks for the help so far.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Searching for those two messages I found corruption has been detected and Solved: Application Error.

If neither of those helps I suggest you make your own search for the messages and take a look at some of the other hits. Hate to send you off to search, but I don't have any ideas other than digging for a driver or startup task or service as jrbuergel already posted.

10. Lance1

Lance1

If you are having issues accessing stranded Windows but have no issues accessing safe mode, I suggest setting up a Clean Boot and then try and access Windows.

11. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you looked in your device manager while in the safe mode for any device driver problems. You may have some corrupt system files, so try to run the system file checker tool, ( type this in the run box; sfc /scannow ) and have your 7 disk ready.

12. ant2012

ant2012 Thread Starter

Ended up being a bad optical drive that I have known about for awhile but hasn't been an issue with boot-up. I guess the computer kept trying to access the drive and freezed up when the drive didn't work.

I went into the BIOS and made the optical drive the last system for the computer to access instead of the first. Seemed to fix the issue. Next I will remove/replace the bad optical drive. I am just glad it wasn't the motherboard.

Thanks everyone for the posts. That gave me the ideas to narrow down the issue.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice