1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will power on, but does not boot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stevenji, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevenji

stevenji Thread Starter

Quite a long read due to details of how my computer slowly failed to boot. Thanks a lot for reading and help! :D

I'll begin with some basic information on my computer:

I recently upgraded my cpu from amd phenomx3 8450 2.1ghz to phenomx3 8750 2.4 ghz.

My motherboard is Asus M2N68-LA.
    On that website it states that the mobo supports up to Phenom with Quad Core (AM2+) up to 9600. As my computer (bought it stock) came with the original phenomx3 8450 I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that my mobo would support my new cpu.

With that aside, my other specs are:
    4gb ddr2 ram (stock)
    300W Power supply
    nvidia galaxy geforce 9600 gt (low power model)

So after my old cpu burnt out (fan and heatsink somehow unhinged itself and my cpu burnt out in like 1 minute) I replaced it with the 2.4ghz phenom x3 8750.
    Immediately after I was able to power the computer, get past POST, and log in through the mobo's integrated video card display.
    Afterwards I attempted to power on my computer with my video card but it failed to display. I unplugged various hardware and power connectors and was able to get the video displaying after 10-20 tries.

I thought after all this my computer was working fine. But after I turned my computer off and tried it again the next day, my computer would turn on fine, but the cpu fan and case fan would come to a stop and nothing would display on the monitor. After unplugging and replugging the computer would finally boot and display through my GPU. (When connected to the mobo's integrated video card it would power on much easier though).

Everytime I shut down my computer and turned it on a few hours later (turning off and on right after my computer would boot normally) I would have to go through the same process of unplugging (randomly might I add) and replugging multiple times to finally get my cpu fans to start spinning consistently and image to display on my monitor.

So this has gone on for about 2 days. Now when I power on my computer the fans continue to stop spinning, but even by unplugging hardware that takes up electricity I can not get the computer to turn on and POST.

My question

I'm wondering whether this has to do with my motherboard or PSU being defective. I am leaning towards PSU due to its low 300W output and due to the fact that I was able to successfully get my computer running and operating (was able to play World of Warcraft, browse internet, etc) a couple times before being unable to boot up at all. Also I read that POST takes up a substantial amount of power and after it power demand is much lower.

My motherboard could be a little damaged though. I've recently bent some capacitors slightly but nothing too much. When the mobo tries to POST I hear 6 continuous beeps.

Sorry for the long thread, I just wanted to be as detailed as possible. I'm planning to purchase a new power supply, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks a lot,
    Steven

2. catlady13

catlady13

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    A power supply problem can give many indications. A 300 Watt power supply is probably grossly under powered for your system. Especially if it is not one of the quality brands. Will your case accomodate a standard ATX sized power supply or is it one of the slimline or small form factor cases that require a small sized power supply? Something like this would be a good choice if it will fit your case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice