1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer will read and play cds, but will not burn cds, or play dvds. Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nomnomnom, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomnomnom

nomnomnom Thread Starter

like the title states. i have read tons of forums to no avail. recently i reformated my computer, and could not find the product key for my windows xp. shortly thereafter, microsoft installed "could not validate this copy of windows" errors all over my computer. a little searching on wikipedia and i deleted them off. but, since then i have not been able to burn cds. itunes acts like it will start, get to 25% and freeze. zune software says unable to burn (unkown error). simply sending files to the disk drive ends with an error message as well. i dont know if this means anything but my windows media player 11 wont open because "windows validation needed". ive downloaded the newest firmware for my disk drive, ive tried lowering the burn speed. the blank cds im trying to use are sony cd-r 700mb. one sit had my check to see if my cd drive was burn compatible (it is, ive burned tons of cds before) and it is, all options are turned on to do it. all in all everything looks good hardware wise, all drivers are updated and "working properly, but not one program on my computer will burn cds.

let me know if you have any recomendations! thank you

2. MidniteCarnival

MidniteCarnival

Maybe the writing lens is dirty. Have you tried a disc cleaner?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/911530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice