1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer with internet issues... Again.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tomtheman70, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tomtheman70

Tomtheman70 Thread Starter

I'm posting about a different computer this time. I've been helping my friends with their computers and it seems that the more I try and help the more things get (Edit) screwed up. This time, my friend wanted this 'my search' bar removed so I googled it and it took me to a forum that had instructions on how to remove the software. I followed the instructions and as soon as I had deleted that one registry entry that it said to. The computer said it was going to shut down in 1 minute. I shut it down and booted the computer back up and the internet now says that there is limited or no connectivity. This is a dell deminsion computer that has a wired connection to the linksys router. I've talked to linksys and they said to talk to Dell support. I called Dell and they told me to talk to their helpdesk support. Helpdesk costs money. I'm not paying money for a stupid search bar that blew up the internet. It isn't a driver issue, it isn't a hardware issue, it isn't anything but supposedly a software issue. I'll try to post a hijackthis log if I can get it onto that computer somehow. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Please clean up your post. One doesn't need to use **** to communicate foul words, and if the board censored it, even more so.

3. Tomtheman70

No, I censored it myself. I don't really WANT to use foul workds but I've been working on this for 2 days and the tech support have lead me in circles.

4. ~Candy~

Thank you.

What operating system are you running? If it's XP, 2K or ME, have you tried a restore point?

5. Tomtheman70

XP service pack 2
    Restore points don't work. I've had the computer make restore points almost daily ever since the last computer we had crashed all the time.
    It says something along the line of "Restore unsucessfull"

6. ~Candy~

Well, then, I think I would download hijack this on a working computer, it will fit on a floppy disk, install it and see if you can't get us a hijack this log.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/386766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice