Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer won’t stop freezing

861 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
i have a dell inspiron one, it’s quite a few years old but it’s worked fine up until now. It will turn on for around 5 minutes (including turn on time) then it just freezes and will stay like that. What should I try to do?

#2 ·
You can start with the basics: check to see that the CPU fan is working and that there is not a ton of dust built up. A nonoperational fan could be allowing the CPU to overheat and shut down to protect itself.
You could have a broken power supply. I am not sure how easy it is to replace the PSU on the Inspiron one.
Can you post more info on your system?

#4 ·
REPLY:
I'm not sure what information you need, but if you let me know i'd be happy to tell you anything that would help. I've been trying to troubleshoot the problem but it's not really giving me much information. I will check the fans first though. Thank you for your help.

#6 ·
You appear to have THIS Dell Inspiron One 2305 All-In-One Desktop PC.
It appears it was purchased in December 2011 and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
It appears it came with a 500 GB SATA hard drive and a 130W external power adapter.

I'm not a hardware diagnostic expert, but my first 2 guesses would be overheating or a failing hard drive.

I'm shutting down the night, so I'll leave you with Sean.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
Try starting in Safe Mode (Press F8 repeatedly when you turn it on until you get a boot menu) and then once in Windows leave it for a few minutes to see if it freezes up. If it doesn't then you may have something loading in the background that is crashing the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.