1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot after cpu upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Qwerty One, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Qwerty One

The Qwerty One Thread Starter

I just tried upgrading from Athlon 64 X2 to Phenom II X2 (which came with a fan and heatsink) and when I turn on the power, the lights flash but the fan will not turn on. The computer will boot when I put back in the old cpu and fan, however. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I should also mention that the new fan's power source is 4 pin while the plug thing on my mb is 3 pin, is this a problem?

edit: PC model is Lenovo 3000 J115

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Did you check your motherboard's site and see if the Phenom II X2 was supported by your board? If supported, was a BIOS update necessary for the processor change?

3. The Qwerty One

I updated the BIOS to the latest version (on the site) which was released Oct 2007. The motherboard is socket AM2, so does that mean it does support the new cpu or is it more complicated than that?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

You need to go to the board manufacturers site and see if the processor you want to install is supported by your board.

5. The Qwerty One

I've been searching and I know I have a Lenovo board but they must be hiding this information because I can't find it anywhere on the site. I've also tried calling them but they don't discuss products with expired warranties, apparently.

I've posted a thread about it on the Lenovo community boards for the time being.
    Are there other possible problems/things I can check while I wait for an answer?
    (I've ruled out it being a fan problem at least.)

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

On an OEM machine only the builder can tell you what processors are supported. The Lenovo model number of your machine is a 738726U

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice