1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot after new hd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ajpopp, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajpopp

ajpopp Thread Starter

I have a Soyo Dragon CK8 motherboard. Several months ago I attempted to install a second hard drive as a slave. After installation, the computer wouldn't boot--no signal to the monitor, no beep. Usually, the CUP fan wouldn't even turn, though the LED on the motherboard would light up.

I ended up returning the motherboard to Soyo for another (tested the other components, etc.). I was too afraid to try the hard drive, so I lived with just one.

Now I have a 200GB hard drive. I installed is last night. All the components were the same as last time, the system has been working great since the new mobo. But guess what? Same problem as last time. Power to the motherboard, if I hold the power switch down for 20 seconds, the CPU fan will come on, the hard drive will spin once, but no video and no beep. Clearing CMOS does not help.

What gives? Is it possible this brand of motherboard can't handle two hard drives? (Even though the manual says it can handle 6.) Is there some setting I missed? I was careful to ground myself. I'm ready to try to flash the BIOS, but I doubt the computer boots up far enough to even access a bootup disk...

I have tried to return everything to pre-hard drive configuration, but the problem persists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. WarC

WarC

Remember to be very cautious of static when working on computers. If you're doing this work on a carpet you could spark a board and not even realize it. I've done that myself, ruined a perfectly good Gigabyte nForce 2 board by installing it while standing on carpet.

Check to make sure that everything is seated correctly inside the case, including the video card and RAM. A lot of times a system will refuse to boot if one of these is unseated or tweaked.

Other than that, I would check to make sure the motherboard was mounted correctly.

3. norton850

norton850

It's possible your power supply wasn't able to handle the additional drive. Perhaps now it's died. Make sure in the process of adding and removing the drive you didn't knock anything loose like the heat sink or a fan connector and that's nothing shorting.

4. ajpopp

ajpopp Thread Starter

Well, it's the same exact problem as last time, and that problem was solved when I replaced the motherboard. But this time I was very careful, so I simply can't believe that I shorted the board. I tried a boot disk, to no avail.

I have a 430 W power source...and it's still working. Right now, I can power the system up, but the hard drive just starts spinning and keeps spinning, but I never get a beep or a signal to the monitor. The motherboard must be dead, but why on earth would adding a hard drive kill a motherboard? Twice?!

5. ajpopp

ajpopp Thread Starter

Okay, what does it mean if I took the motherboard out, then put it back in (but didn't lock it down with screws) and the computer worked fine? But, once I tried screwing the board back in place, it stopped working again. So I tried unscrewing the board, but it didn't start working again...

Here's the thing: sometimes, when I press the power switch, nothing happens. But, if I hold the switch for 10 seconds, then let go and quickly press it again, power flows to the board, the hard drive spins up, but no post beep and no video?

6. otoe1

otoe1

Obtain another power supply

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!