1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Won't Boot and Safe Mode (F8) Doesnt' Work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lalhsf, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lalhsf

lalhsf Thread Starter

I am new here. Hopefully someone can help me. My computer has several problems. The most serious is not being able to get Windows XP to load. I have tried booting in safe mode (F8) but I keep getting an error screen. I installed a game on the computer today that apparent has caused this problem. Any advice on how I can boot to safe mode to remove the program and do a system restore would be appreciated.

Thanks.

[email protected]

2. jh3si

jh3si

lalhsf,
    So your computer won't start up even in safe mode. : /

I'm suggesting There was new drivers installed when you installed your game and so now there is a conflict with the Video Card. If I am right. Try to get access to another Video Card. Start the computer with the new video card and undo whatever you did before. Switch out the graphics cards one last time, and you should be A ok.

Let me know how it goes.
    Jh3si

3. lalhsf

lalhsf Thread Starter

The computer won't boot. When I try to rebot in safe mode get a blue screen with the error meassage. The messages says that a program I installed may be causing this issue. Says I can use system restore to correct the problem. Also says I can use system restore in safe mode. My question is how do I get to safe mode if F8 doesn't work. Is there a way to go straight to system restore if computer won't boot.

Thanks for your response and any additonal help you can provide would be appreciated.

[email protected]com

4. jh3si

jh3si

lalhsf,
    One question to anyone else reading this. Is, can he boot to command prompt and run system restore from there, and if so, how?

I know you can boot using your windows disc and tell it you want to recover or repair windows is also an option. That may fix your problem

Next I would reccomend a program in the future like Norton Ghost that would be able to help you recover your system without going into safe mode. http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

jh3si

5. lalhsf

lalhsf Thread Starter

I tried this and if still won't allow me. The computer will not go into Safe Mode. The error message I am getting is the following UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT-VOLUME. I have no idea what that means. Any help you or anyone else can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks for answering so quickly.

[email protected]

6. jh3si

jh3si

Lalhsf
    Load up your BIOS by pressing Del @ while starting your computer,
    Disable options, caching and shadowing. See if you can start safe mode then.

Here is more information at Microsoft about what Unmountable Boot Volume is. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555302

Best of luck,
    Jh3si

7. lalhsf

lalhsf Thread Starter

Thanks, this information allowed me to boot into safe mode and then do a system restore.

I really appreciate your help in this matter.

[email protected]

8. dobbelina

dobbelina

So you did a chkdsk /r and now it works ?

9. jh3si

jh3si

Lalhsf,
    Two thumbs up. Glad to here that your problem of getting into safe mode has been fixed.

jh3si

"I enjoy helping others, it always goes around."

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/379566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice