1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot - blank screen with blinking cursor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tessabear, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tessabear

Tessabear Thread Starter

When I turn my computer on it goes to the blue hp logo and then to a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. If I hit f8 when booting it gives me 2 options...f1 to setup and f2 to resume. It won't let me go into safe mode or anything. I have tried booting from the xp cd, but nothing happens. I have tried replacing the battery and that hasn't done anything.

It started when trying to open a program, the computer just went blank. When trying to reboot, this mess started...

Any brilliant ideas? PLEASE!

Also, I just got this error message, which is new...i got it after I unplugged the computer for awhile...
    warning 251: system cmos checksum bad - dafalut config used

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi and welcome to TSG.
    Check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503
    Read all info.
    You may have to repair the Master Boot Record.
    Also you may have to change the boot option in the bios..so it will boot from the Cd.
    Did you get the "warning 251: system cmos checksum bad" after changing the Cmos battery?

3. Tessabear

Tessabear Thread Starter

Yes, I did get the error message after changing the battery. I have also changed the boot option to boot from the cd and it still isn't working. The cd drive lights up and you can hear it spinning and then nothing happens. It just keeps going back to the blank screen with the blinking cursor.

I am about to read all of the info you sent and see if I can get it worked out from there. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed and say a little prayer. Thanks!

4. Tessabear

Tessabear Thread Starter

I tried to make a boot disk but now get a message that says "windows couldn't start b/c the following file is missing or corrupt...<windows root>\system32\hal.dll " Any ideas on how to fix that?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Set bios to boot to cd drive before hard drive and then boot to XP Cd and choose "R" for recovery Console...then type in chkdsk /r and run checkdisk.
    Then if that doesn't do it I would run XP repair:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

6. Tessabear

Tessabear Thread Starter

I have set the bios to boot from cd and it doesn't. It just goes back to the blank screen with the cursor. The cd drive lights up like it is working and then nothing happens after that.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Then the cd isn't a bootable cd.

8. Tessabear

Tessabear Thread Starter

It's the only cd that came with it when I bought XP. It's the install disk. Should there have been another one?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

10. Tessabear

Tessabear Thread Starter

I will try that, thanks!

11. tendragon

tendragon

Was looking this same issue up. I have the same exact problem. computer won't boot from drive or cd. I am using an official xp cd and it won't do anything. You can hear the drive working but nothing. My son says he dropped his laptop, so wondering if something could have happend mechanically.

12. pedronicus

pedronicus

Have just had the same problem with my daughter's desktop. Hard drive has died. Data recovery needed to retrieve her valued pics.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice