1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot ... continued

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KingGiff, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KingGiff

KingGiff Thread Starter

I posted a message on here a while back, and the consensus seemed to be that it was a power supply problem.

Well, I received my replacement supply today, and low and behold, it didn't solve the problem.

Just to reiterate, when you turn on the computer, the fans power up, but i don't get a signal on the monitor. The processor fans turn on and all, but none of the PCI/AGP cards do.

Also I don't think the speaker is working. Would this indicate a motherboard or power supply problem? Thanks.

2. brianF

brianF

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If you have more than one ram chip, try pulling all except for one.....try again.....if no go, pull that one and replace it with another one......etc.

Also, take the cpu out, blow the dust off it, and re-insert it......

Another thing you may check ---- take the motherboard out of the case, hook up just the memory, cpu, video card and hard drive.....something may be shorting out against the case.

4. KingGiff

KingGiff Thread Starter

I played around with it some more ... so I figured I'd post an update of sorts:

1. The motherboard is at least getting power ... noted because the fans, which are hooked up to the mobo, are working.

2. I don't think my internal speaker (which is hooked up to the mobo) is working, because I tried to boot the computer without any RAM (as in, removed it all) and I didn't get a single beep error.

I don't think it could be a short, because I've had the box for a year and a half no problem ... but I may try that tonight.

Any more suggestions?

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Does the hard drive spin up?

6. KingGiff

KingGiff Thread Starter

Yes it usually spins up. It's just I'm not getting any kind of signal from the PCI/AGP devices.

7. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Try a different video card.

8. KingGiff

KingGiff Thread Starter

As was noted in the previous post, I'd tried swapping out my video card and hard drive. That's not the problem though, as it's not giving power to my network card, nor any USB/PS2 devices either.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You don't by chance have a USB hub hooked up do you?

10. Anti-Intel

Anti-Intel

This problem sounds more like a mother board problem than anything, but before you go by a new MB try this. remove all peripherals one by one rebooting each time you remove one. If nothing changes for the better go inside the case and remove each adapter card one at a time rebooting after you remove each one. If you remove all of them and still nothing changes then work backwards replacing the adapter cards( I know this sounds like it will take forever and probably will, but some times a bad adapter card will cause this problem.) If you do all of this and it still wont boot it is most likely your motherboard. The best sites I,ve found for finding parts are www.pcworld.com or www.tomshardware.com they give good reviews and links to sites that sell parts.

11. cj_white

cj_white

ok before u get all worked up over the MB i just want u to know i just had the same exact prob. what i did is i took everything off of the MB leaving only the cpu on. turn it on if it goes through POST then add one thing at a time rebooting everytime u add on. if it doesn't POST then dont give up hope yet. find someone that has an old pc to try there speaker. then if u find out the speaker works and it still doesnt go through POST then it is probably the cpu. i hope u catch a break and the MB is just grounding out on something. just always cover all the small possibilities before you worry about the big ones. good luck

jeff

12. KingGiff

KingGiff Thread Starter

Thanks ...

I've tried booting with nothing (like no RAM, processor) and I still don't get any beeps. However, the speaker is connected to the motherboard, suggesting ___ ?

I guess I'll probably take the motherboard out of the case tomrorow to make sure it's not shorting out, and I'll get back to you guys then.

But it's weird, because some parts seem to be getting power off the motherboard (like the fans .. and the hard drive spins up), but nothing else.

Oh, and no USB devices besides a mouse .. but taking it out doesn't affect anything either way.

Thanks.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice