1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer wont boot, d101ggc help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bryan065, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bryan065

bryan065 Thread Starter

hi, ive just built a new system recently and im having problems.

-when i first booted up my computer it ran fine and i went on to installing windows xp. i left it installing overnight and the next morning i had the blue screen of death. i turned off my computer and tried to boot it up again, now it gives me a long beep about 3-5 seconds long. all the fans and lights power on, i hear the hdd/dvd drive power up but no video signal to my monitor. then after about 20 seconds of beeping my computer shuts off.

can anyone help me on this?

pentium d 820
    d101ggc motherboard
    ultra 512mb ram with added-on heat spreader
    ultra 500watt atx12v power supply
    nvidia geforce 6800 extreme edition
    sony 16x dual layer burner

ive tried everything execpt replace my ram. i dont think it has anything to do with it because i just bought the parts about 3 days ago.

thanks =)

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

When you say 'I've tried everything', have you pulled and reseated all cards/ram? Have you tried just one stick of ram if using 2? Have you unplugged and reseated all connections? Checked for the mobo touching the case?

These are just general checks. If you know what BIOS is in the mobo, you can probably find out what the beep means.

Scorp.

3. bryan065

bryan065 Thread Starter

ive tried using 1 stick instead of 2, took out my mobo and tried it outside of the case so im no acidentally grounding it, unplugged and reseated everything at least 20 times, ive checked the beep codes and none of them tell me whats happening if theres 1 really long beep. ive tried runnin it with just the integrated graphics and my video card.

oh and another thing, when i plug in the power supply and hit the switch to "l" it turns on by itself without pressing the power button and it doesnt turn off with the button.

its weird because it booted up yesterday, went up to the screen just b4 it loads the OS and shows pentium D. like i said i went to install windows left it there with the monitor on and went to sleep. i think my bro later turned off the monitor? and next morning...turn on monitor and i see the blue screen of death. o_O

i tried runnin it with the ram. 4 second beep. without the ram 3 second beep.

4. bryan065

bryan065 Thread Starter

srry for dbl post but help anyone?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think you might have a failed motherboard. Might be time for warranty.

6. DuhbLinn

DuhbLinn

Hi. I realize this is an old post, but I have a similiar problem. In fact, I've had it for a while; see my post here.
    Whenever I try to swith my PC on, it starts for a second or so then switches off. If I repeat this cycle for long enough, it eventually boots and then works fine.

I had the mobo and cpu tested, and tested all my other components, yet nothing seemed to be wrong. Eventually (well, today actually) I inserted my old Celeron D cpu, and then everything worked! And as far as I know, the Pentium is fine, so it must be some kind of incompatibility between the mobo and Pentuim cpu.

I've checked bios versions and revision numbers, so I know my cpu is supported. Also, it worked fine when I bought the cpu. The problem only started after a couple of months.

Anyway, I realize your problem is a bit different, since you get the beeps. But I thought it may be related and felt I had to share what I did and the results that I got.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice