Computer won't boot following cd-rom installaton.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ks04

Hi! I'd really appreciate some help with the following problem:

P4 1.8Ghz running WinXP Pro, originally without a cd-rom drive at all.

The computer was running as normal. I powered off and installed a new cd-rom drive (Diamond 52X). Upon switching on again the computer does power up however doesn't get past the POST, the BIOS beeps at approximately three second intervals. Thats a three second beep followed by three seconds of silence and repeat. No signal is sent to the monitor nor do any USB peripherals have power and the computer just hangs in this state.

I checked and double checked that I'd not knocked any cards out of place and made sure the DC and IDE cables were securely in place for the new drive but no effect.

Following this I removed the drive returning the computer to the original state it was in when working however the problem persists.

Any advice?

Thanks, ks04. :)

crjdriver

Good advise.

Since you were inside the case, reseat video card and ram. The video card on that system [should] have the extra retaining clip on the agp slot. While you are at it reconnect all ide connectors and molex [power] connectors. Give the system a complete cleaning with a can of air; available at any computer or office store.

It is surprisingly easy to knock something loose inside of a case. This happens to me quite a bit since I have large hands.

ks04

Thanks guys. Yep the original check included RAM and following your advice i've removed and reseated both video card and RAM again and cleaned up the inside of the case with no luck :( .

crjdriver

Ok, pull or disconnect ALL drives. Pull ALL cards except the video card. Now boot the system and see if it will post. If so, enter the bios and make sure your ide channels are set to AUTO. Shutdown the system and connect just your primary hd. Boot the system and see if it still works. If so, repeat the procedure installing one component at a time until you find the problem.

Note make sure you check your jumper settings when you pull each drive.

ks04

Did as you said and i've got it running fine now. The problem seemed to be stemming from the slave HDD. Removed everything and added them in one at a time till I added that drive and the problem recurred.

Anyway, thanks I really appreciate your help! :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online