1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot inside of case, but will outside

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GSandra35, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GSandra35

GSandra35 Thread Starter

So I bought all the parts to build a new computer.
    Slapped the bad boy together, tried to turn it on, NOTHING.
    No lights, no fans, no noise.

Troubleshooted for awhile, Figured out that maybe it was the power switch on the new case. So I decided to put it into another case. It booted up just fine, ran it all night. No problems what so ever.

So I really want to use this new case. And thought that maybe I would try the reset switch plug in on the power plug in on the motherboard that's in the OLD case. Boots up just fine. So I think to myself ok great, so I'll just use the reset button as the power button no big deal.
    Ummm..no, didn't work out that way.

So I plug everything back into the NEW case, use the reset switch plug on the power pins on the motherboard. NOPE. Same thing as before, won't boot up at all, no fans no lights nothing.

So at this point I'm pretty steamed :) So I pull everything out of the new case, and put it on a piece of cardboard, plug everything in the way it's suppose to be. Only thing I have are the ram, cpu/heatsink in the unit.
    IT TURNS ON!!!!!

So everything runs fine placed into a different case, runs fine outside of the case, but will not run in the case. The only thing I can think of is something inside the case is shorting it out.

What could be causing this?

Thanks for any help.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Be sure none of the mounting standoffs are in a bad location for your motherboard. Sometimes cases will have optional locations to accommodate other boards, but one of those locations may intefere with circuitry on some boards. Verify very carefully the location of each metal standoff. Ensure that the area around each is clear. Often you will get plastic washers that can be used if a particular location looks a little iffy, or for extra safety (though they can be hard to work with, especially trying to use more than one or two!).

There should be no other part of the case that could interfere with the mounting, but look around thoroughly to be sure there is nothing contacting the board.

Are you sure the power supply in the new case is working? You can always connect the old one to test.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1045410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice