1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot into Windows after installed.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rubeckf, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

I have my cousins computer that I replaced the Motherboard in and the HD. She has a Pavillion Elite that's a little over a yr old.
    I re-installed Win. 7 64bit. Then I installed avg free version, java, Word Perfect 12 pro, Roxio Creator 10 Pro. Then replaced all her documents from the old drive. She came for it and took it home last night. She called today and brought it back saying she couldn't get it into windows. I tried to do the windows repair on startup. Got message unable to repair automatically. The list of problems are as follows---1. 6.1.7600 163585
    2. same as above
    3. unknown
    4. 21200451
    5. AutoFailover
    6. 8
    7. Bad Disk
    Then I ran the Windows Restore and tried 2 different points. Got this message..Details: failed to extract (D:\$Etevd\$RmMetadata\$Txf) from the restore point.
    Unspecified error during SR(ox80070005)
    I tried once more and this time got the BSOD.
    The only other thing that installed was about 100 windows updates.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to start all over.
    I also ran the memory test 2x and it came back with no problems both times.

2. Sponsor

3. S-9

S-9

try checking your HD for errors
    also tell us the BSOD message

4. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

I didn't get the message on the BSOD. I now have her hard drive connected to this computer and see all the files etc. The HD is a new 1TB WD green.

5. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

I just had to disconnect her HD from this. It caused this computer to stop. I finally got back on. Should I just wipe that HD clean and start over?

6. Firebreather

Firebreather

Is it a pre-installed OS? If yes, press F11 after the brand logo appears...

7. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

no, I had to use an after mkt one after the motherboard was replaced. They said it is the same as a new computer then.

8. Firebreather

Firebreather

OMG!!! Didn't you make a system recovery disc?
    If yes, use it. :)
    Insert it and press F11 after the brand logo appears...
    And, in case you didn't, you will need to format the HD (or at least the drive in which the OS is to be installed) and try re-installing the OS again....
    But before that, if you have some important files in there don't forget to make a backup....

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, list ALL of your parts ie exact mb, cpu, ram, what pw supply is installed, etc, etc. Post links to your parts if possible.

The suggestion to check your hard drive is a good one. Just because it is new does NOT mean it is working correctly. It does not make sense to attempt another install until you have made sure the hardware is working correctly.

10. S-9

S-9

Your HD is having some problem....or it may have bad sectors

11. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

This computer can't be started with a set of recovery disks, as stated above. I checked the HD and it didn't find any problems with the WD floppy. I just finished re-installing and made sure that all programs were win7 64bit compatible. So far it is running good. She will pick it up tomorrow eve. Thanks for all your replies.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1008367