1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot! Missing .nls files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PunK_WalKeR, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PunK_WalKeR

PunK_WalKeR Thread Starter

So I've been through a lot to get where I am now. My computer won't boot and initially there was a file missing named c_1252.nls. Well, I fixed that through the recovery console only to discover another missing file, c_437.nls. I followed the same steps in the recovery console to fix the missing c_1252.nls file only to discover that when I'm in c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and I do the command "ren c_437.nls c_437.old" which is the same command I used for the c_1252.nls file it gives me the following message "The system cannot find the file or directory specified." What do I do? I've had a friend who's fairly comfortable with computers to get me to this point. I know enough about computers to get myself around and fix surface level problems, but problems this complex I have no idea what to do. Please help! Thanks!

2. dai

dai

do a repair installation
    boot from the xp cd and choose install
    continue with install until windows finds the previous installation
    then repair
    when finished install sp2

3. PunK_WalKeR

PunK_WalKeR Thread Starter

Do I need to install SP2 even though I already installed it before this happened and if I do what you asked will I lose any information on my computer? That's my biggest concern...

4. dai

dai

your files and everything will remain intact,unless you have slipstreamed sp2 to your origninal xp you will have to reinstall sp2
    if you want to make a slipstreamed disk use this
    http://nuhi.msfn.org/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!