1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer wont boot past BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OscarTT21, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OscarTT21

OscarTT21 Thread Starter

First congrats on an excellent forum and helpful members. I have used the info this site loads of times before reading past threads and until now have never needed to post...

So here goes.
    I have just installed a fresh (not new) hard drive in my system which is;
    Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo P5600
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2GB Ram
    160GB SATA Hard drive
    XP Pro SP3

The drive had XP already installed but was configured for an Athlon Dual Core system so i did a clean install. Deleted all partitions then created a new partition with NTFS file system (the slow method to check for disk errors)

Then i installed XP pro Sp2 all done from Fujitsu operating system recovery CD.
    All went flawlessly and was working great.
    Next day i went to boot and the splash screen came up with Fujitsu Siemens on it and the F2 or F12 options and the blue progress meter. The progress meter got to half way and then hung for about 2 mins and a black screen came up with a load of writing on and the message;

pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable
    operating system not found

I did read a thread on techguy about this but it didnt solve my problem and my symptoms are quite different.

If when i see the splash screen i immediately press F2 to go to bios setup i can enter setup and view all settings. The HD is present and boot priority set to Hard drive. I then exit without saving or changing anything and it boots into windows and works fine.

If i do a restart from windows it boots fine. Its only when i shut down and restart from the front switch it gives the,
    pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable
    operating system not found
    message.

One final thing if when the splash screen comes up i don't press F2 immediately say wait 5 seconds then it hangs for a while then goes to the BIOS setup but in this instance the HD is not present in the BIOS settings!!
    Oh and one final final thing if i press F12 on the splash to get other boot options and select any from the list it boots and works fine too!!

This is a real strange one... I've installed XP dozens of times over the years on single and dual core systems, AMD & Pentium, updated bios, and installed everything from motherboards to printers and never seen anything quite like this one before so help is needed from those with greater wisdom and experience.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    cheers
    Oscar
    P.S. sorry for duplicate post but the title i wrote previously was too specific and i coudnt edit it.

2. draceplace

draceplace

This is kinda of a generic message it could be a lot of things.... Is the 'network boot' disabled in bios? the check cable part makes me think its trying to boot off the network.

3. CapriAnupam

CapriAnupam

4. OscarTT21

OscarTT21 Thread Starter

Thanks for your input Draceplace and CapriAnupam im currently reading through the links posted to look at my options and ill let you know how it goes soon.
    Thanks again

5. grizz699

grizz699

just a silly question, but did you configure the jumpers on the hdd proprely?
    I know I have on a simple oversight and has caused the same kind of problems.

6. OscarTT21

OscarTT21 Thread Starter

After reading through the threads posted on the sites mentioned i tried everything i could. I F9'd the bios to reset to defaults, i disabled everything in the boot menu baring the hard drive and i made the hard drive the first in the boot sequence.

gliizz699 the HD is an SATA the old type 1 i.e 150mbs not 300mbs on an SATAII compatible MoBo anyway so no jumpers required if the disk was SATAI or II. Unless ive missed something somewhere and SATAII MoBos are not backwards compatible?

So im afraid i'm no further forward... Any other suggestions

Thanks for all the help so far

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are getting the msg because the system is not finding a hard disk to boot from and it attempting to boot from a network.

Here is what I would do;
    1 Download the drive maker's diagnostic and run that on the new drive. Some drive makers have both windows and dos versions. Get the dos version that makes a boot floppy or CD.

2 Go back and recheck ALL of the connections on the drive. Make sure the molex [pw connector] is not damaged.

3 Use a different data cable and use a different power cable.

Note if your power supply does not have sata power connectors and you are using an adapter, I would try another adapter.

After doing the above and the drive checks out OK with the diagnostic app, I would swap in a known good pw supply. Cold boot issues that go away after a reboot are often power supply related.

8. OscarTT21

OscarTT21 Thread Starter

Sorry it took so long to reply.
    I didn't get chance to run the tests mentioned by crjdriver as my Dad needed to borrow the PC in question whilst i had a look at his (which ill be starting a new thread on) so i dropped it off to him, plugged in the keyboard, mouse and monitor and it booted straight away no messing.
    He has had it for 5 days now using it everyday and not once has it failed to boot from the front switch...!

I did check all the connections as mentioned above but didn't have a spare SATA cable. I'm guessing there is a connection problem that has been remedied (all be it temporarily as i'm sure it will be back) by the machine been moved around and travelling in the car.

Thanks for the help guys and ill keep it up to date if there is anything to add.

9. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Couple of things do come to mind, none of them quite the same re error messages, but definitley worth looking at. From what yo usaif I am guessing that both drives are SATA- however if theres an IDE in there it wont actually alter anything too much. I also guess you have both drives in now? If not, stop reading now :)
    With the 2 drives, you will need to assign, in BIOS , the bot order. I know you have set HD to first device, but you then need to check through for the option (probbly under boot) of Hard drives. This should list all drives- select the one thats lower in the list and put it first. I think its at least partly due to looikng at the wrong HD to boot. Hopefully, this should get it going :)

10. OscarTT21

OscarTT21 Thread Starter

Thanks Gulo,

however there is and always has been only one hard drive in the system. When i refer to installing a 'fresh hard drive' i meant the system didnt have one as it was not in use.

thanks anyway though

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/778459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice