1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot, period

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KingGiff, Oct 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KingGiff

KingGiff Thread Starter

I've owned my computer since May 1999 - it hasn't really given me many problems until now. First of all, her specs:

Abit KA7 mobo (uses Via KX133 chip)
    Athlon 700 OC'd to 800 (using Afterburner chip - made by same company I bought computer from, Outside Loop)
    256 PC133 (Crucial)
    Asus v6800 DDR Geforce 256
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus40 30 gig harddrive (Ultra66)
    Pioneer 16x DVD
    Plextor 8x burner
    Windows 98SE
    Soundblaster Live! Value

-----------------------------------------

Now, the problem. Every once and a while (like maybe once a month) the computer would have a problem rebooting when reset ... the hard drive would seek and it'd detect everything, but it wouldn't establish a signal with the monitor.

Well, recently it's been doing it a lot more often, taking 2 or 3 times to boot up. I came home from school today, and it wouldn't turn on at all.

It seems to be POSTing, but I don't hear the beep. Here's what I've done so far:

- Swapped monitors: no effect
    - Swapped video card (including using a PCI and AGP): no effect
    - Swapped hard drives: same
    - Unhooked CD-Rom drives: same

And then I tried to see how far it was making on the POST, so I booted without a processor hooked up, and didn't get any warning beeps, so I'm thinking it must be either a motherboard or power supply issue.

Any suggestions or courses of action? Thanks in advance.

2. brianF

brianF

Try holding down the insert key and press the power button. this will set the bios to defaults and you will have to enter bios and reset certain things.

3. KingGiff

KingGiff Thread Starter

Still didn't do anything ... only getting "check signal" error.

Just as a note, the only two LED's I get are green (power) and red (which is I presume harddrive activity?) ... the red light remains solid all the time.

Thanks.

4. tjsudo

tjsudo

Are you getting that "Check signal" error on the display?

POST won't start until CPU sends an address to the ROM, so removing CPU doesn't rule out its failure.

Your built in speaker beeps when you press the power switch?

TJ

5. KingGiff

KingGiff Thread Starter

To answer your questions... yes, I'm getting the "check signal" on the display ... and, no, it's not beeping

All's I hear when it boots up is the fans running, hard drive spinning up, and it checks the CDRoms.

At this point, It usually freezes while checking CDRoms, although I think it's whatever usually comes after that that's locking up.

Thanks.

6. brianF

brianF

Reseat all the components and try and boot.
    If that doesn't work take out everything except processor, memory, harddrive, and vid card

7. KingGiff

KingGiff Thread Starter

Ok, I pulled the following:

- Floppy
    - Second IDE channel (both CDRoms)
    - Sound card
    - Network card

It booted(!), but after partially loading Win98 it shut itself down.

Would it be wise to start putting components in one by one until the culpret is found?

8. KingGiff

KingGiff Thread Starter

Well, happy happy...

I ended up putting everything in piece by piece, and with (somewhat) a success, I got everything to boot in harmony.

However, the problem still lingers... it's only booting about 50% of the time, and the other times I'm still having to cut power and reset the thing.

So, any ideas on what could be causing that and what remedies may be? Possibly just a dying processor?

Thanks.

9. spygod

spygod

sounds like to me that you are having power issues. try replacing the power supply. I had similar problem with my computer and that is what it ended up being

10. tjsudo

tjsudo

Hi,

You should check built-in speaker's connection.

Do you know why every computer beeps when you push the power switch?

To let you know that speaker's working, so POST can inform you of any errors through beeps.

Your POST might be sending beeps when your computer is not booting but if your speaker is not working, you can't hear it.

TJ

11. cj_white

cj_white

you might also want to check the wires to your hdd led if you connect it backwards it does the same thing as a floppy hooked up backwards the light stays on

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!