1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot! Please help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thewake, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewake

thewake Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have an old PC which had a broken CPU. I have transfered the HD to a new Tower which has it's own CPU, RAM, AGP Video card etc. However when I turn on the computer it does not boot up, I get the choice to start windows normally etc but whichever option I choose it still freezes. If I try safe mode it stops at gagp30kx.sys.

I read around a bit and thought I should try booting from a CD, however when I use my windows XP CD (which is what is on the HD), it loads drivers then hangs indefinately at "Starting Windows". I have tried changing loads of settings around in BIOS, and I have tried different RAM sticks to see if one was faulty. The only things connected in the tower are the CD Drive, HD, and the AGP Graphics card, so I can't even unplug anything else to boot it up on a minimal set up.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to boot up my computer I would appreciate it. Although ideally I would like to keep the contents of the HD, I would even accept a way to start from scratch, but I cannot get far enough in the windows setup to even install a fresh copy! Please help!!

Thanks,

Thewake

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice