1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer wont boot.. PSU problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaredavidporter, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaredavidporter

jaredavidporter Thread Starter

(im copying this from another forum i wrote it on because i don't feel like typing it out again)

ok so i booted up the computer this morning and now it wont even start up. as soon as i flip the switch on the back of the power supply it turns on the computer but it wont let me turn it on and off with the power button in the front (weird). the CPU fan wont turn on either (somtimes) and the light on all my fans are blinking (not rapidly but a fading kind of flicker) at me. The psu has turned from a buzzing sound to a combination of buzzing and a high pitched sound. (the sound is not that loud but it is noticeable)

looks like it may be a psu prob. i really hope it's not a mobo problem.

Before this started happening the video would artifact right at start up but now it wont even show the post or video or anything.

I'd like to get around to fixing this soon that way it's ready to use for the summer. :)

2. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

My first guess would be the motherboard, but the psu is much easier to test so start there. If you don't have a psu tester then you should either buy one, or pull the power supply and go to a tech shop and ask for a quick test (if they are nice there will be no charge). If neither of those options sound good, another way to test the psu is just stick it in another system.

3. jaredavidporter

forgot my specs

Abit an8-sli
    Athlon 4400+
    Nvidia BFG 7950
    250 Hitachi Gb SATA 2
    2x1gb OCZ Platinium pc3200
    hiper type R modular power supply 580 watts

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

First and most likely to me is the psu.

5. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

Yes, I would try the PSU first.

6. jaredavidporter

bump.. holy crap that moved down fast.
    you guys must be popular

7. budge10s

budge10s

it sounds like mobo to me. check the mobo installatoin. see if there is any metal touching the board and if the screws are in the right spot.

8. jackdw

jackdw

Not a good idea. Say the PSU was faulty and has already fried one motherboard, last thing you want it to do is fry another. Dont try the BAD psu in another computer, try a GOOD psu in the computer in question.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

A high pitched sound from the power supply is generally indicitive of failed/failing capacitors.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice