1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot; stops in mid-count at 94

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noobette, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noobette

noobette Thread Starter

My son and I built his computer a year ago: Intel 975xbx motherboard, Pentium D, 2G RAM, sweet NVidia graphics card, 2 HDs in RAID 0 config. We didn't get a sound card because he didn't care about sound. When a new patch in WOW started screwing up the sound, we bought a AudioExcel AV512 sound card and the sound glitch was fixed and it sounded lovely. 2 days later the computer won't boot. The Raid page comes up and says the HDs are fine "bootable". Then it goes into a count and sticks at 94 forever. The keyboard works, but we can't get into the boot options screen or setup.

We tried:
    Taking out the sound card
    checking all connections for a possible loose connection
    taking out a memory stick, but i don't think it'll run that way, I think they are in some sort of dual mode.

Is the motherboard bad? Memory? any ideas?

2. jasonguy

jasonguy

noobette,

Did the AudioExcell card you installed require any driver installation? If yes, I would suspect a corruption on your system. Do you have a startup diskette or CD? I hope you back up regularly.

Perhaps you can attempt a recovery without having to do a re-install. Explore your options and just don't do a re-install when a recovery would do. Let's know how you do. Thanks.

jasonguy

3. noobette

noobette Thread Starter

Gasp! Yes the sound card came with a driver cd, which we installed. I will try the Windows startup CD. We have a boot diskette, but no diskette drive, lol.
    Thanks

4. markomus

markomus

FWIW: After you recover your system, if you continue to use your sound card, be sure to turn off the on board card in the BIOS.

5. noobette

noobette Thread Starter

ok, thanks.

6. noobette

noobette Thread Starter

I've been off my computer for a couple days. I had to go to the storage locker to get my old computer and cannibalize its floppy drive to use with my son's computer. We got it all hooked up and in the process unplugged the mouse. ===>It turns out it was a hardware conflict with the mouse!! Reinstalled and it worked but started crashing every so often.

We had to download the driver from the CMedia website. The driver that comes with the Audio Excel AV512 is no good for us. The driver on their website worked.

All good. thanks for your help, Markomus and Jasonguy.
    :)

7. jasonguy

jasonguy

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve the problem. Happy computing :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice