computer won't boot up after installing new power supply

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

patticake_2

My computer was shut down one day when I came home. It wouldn't turn back on, and the power supply was dead when I had it checked. I replace it with a 600 watt OCZ game stream unit. Now the computer comes on when you turn it on, but only by using the button on the back. The on/off switch on the front will not work at all....not on, not off. I have lights inside my computer, and they do come on, also the fans work. But the monitor never comes on. There is a green light lit on my cd burner drive, and a red light on the front of the tower. These lights stay on. The computer doesnt' beep when you turn the power on either. I have an Asus A8V-VE motherboard, a AMD Athlon 64fx dual core processor, 1 gig of Ram, and have windows xp pro as the operating system. My system is a home built system of approx. 2 yrs of age. I don't know what happened originally to cause me all this trouble, but would appreciate any help anyone might give. I ordered another MOB thinking this might be the problem, but haven't received it yet to replace it. Thanks again for your help. :eek:

crjdriver

There is a very simple test for the power button on the front of the case. You can switch the wire leads from the reset button. To do this follow these directions. Note before doing the following, do make some note as to how your case leads are connected.
1 Locate the case leads and where they connect to your board.
2 Remove both the reset and pw switch leads
3 Now connect the reset lead to your pw switch pins on the board
4 Press the reset button and see if it turns on normally. If it does, you simply have a failed pw switch on the case. If it does the same thing, then you know it is either the board that has failed OR the pw supply is defective.

crjdriver

BTW the best way to test a pw supply is to swap in a known working unit. When you install a new pw supply, there is always the chance that it is defective which can lead to confusion when troubleshooting. Having a known working pw supply around as a test unit is invaluable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online