1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Littlebuzzon, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Littlebuzzon

Littlebuzzon Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 w/Windows Vista installed. I pressed the start button, heard the fans start, then they stopped. Then the fans started again and stopped. It did this 7 x's, on the 8th time the fans started, heard one beep, made some noise, then nothing happened. Black screen on working monitor. Any guesses?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

What does the noise sound like, where is it coming from - fan, hard drive ?

3. Littlebuzzon

Littlebuzzon Thread Starter

Thx for the quick reply. It's definitely not the fans. Sounds like a shudder(?). That might be the hd starting(I'm old, 60). I'm wondering why it take 8 x's (fans shutting on and off) before the hd tries to start. It's like trying to start your car after it's ran out of gas. It take time for the fuel to reach the engine before it cranks over. Maybe psu or BIOS Checksum error?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Between your 2 choices, I would say it may be the PSU

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!