1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sUPERbADgIRL, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sUPERbADgIRL

sUPERbADgIRL Thread Starter

Help my computer won't boot up. I turn it on and can hear the hard drive kick in but from there nothing. My monitor never comes on (it's not the monitor. I've tried it with another computer and it seems to be fine.) I don't know what is wrong.

The problem started a couple of days ago when I went to boot my computer up the hard drive would come on but nothing on the monitor. After turning the computer on and off several times manually the monitor finally did come on. The computer would be fine afterwards. Today I went to turn my computer on and nothing. Again I turned the computer on and off several times (10 or more) and still nothing.The computer just hangs in limbo. I can hear the hard drive but nothing else happens. Even when I put my start up disk or cd in the drives nothing happens. I can't even get into safe mode or anything. I have no screen(monitor won't even come on). Can some one help me or is my computer just shot?

I can't live without my computer:confused: :(

Compaq Persario 7478
    Windows XP Pro

sUPERbADgIRL

2. buckfan1

buckfan1

Might be bad ram or bad video card.

3. sUPERbADgIRL

How can I tell if it's bad ram or the video card?

sUPERbADgIRL

4. jhmalone

jhmalone

I would try accessing your bios first, if it comes up and you can see it, it's not a video problem. If you can't, then I would replace the video card. Just replaced a bad hard drive yesterday and for all appearances, it souned fine, but was bad nontheless.

5. sUPERbADgIRL

Ok. I know right at this point I can't access the bios. So how difficult is is to replace a video card? How do I know what type video card to get. And how to install? Any suggestions for a good video card brand/maker?

6. norton850

norton850

You've had your computer a few years I guess :) . You most likely have onboard video I really don't know if you have an AGP slot or not. You'll have to look. However at this point it's hard to say what might be the problem. How comfortable are you playing around inside the case?

7. SacsTC

SacsTC

Norton850, you are correct. That machine has onboard video and the specs show no AGP slot. Doesn't mean there isn't one however.

8. sUPERbADgIRL

Norton 850,
    I'm pretty comfortable playing around the inside of my computer. I've installed new hard drive, sound card, ram, and an usb 2.0 drive card. My computer is 6 years old.

SacaTC
    You're right. Compaq Persario computers have on board video. I've been told that the video card is built into the motherboard.?. It does not have an AGP slot.

Ok guys. Tell me what can I do now? Is it possible for me to replace the video card?

9. norton850

norton850

You can replace the video with a PCI based card and it is one of the troubleshooting steps. A couple of other things to try. Take your RAM out and put it back in. If you have two sticks try one at a time. If still no video disconnect everything except the CPU/heatsink/fan, monitor and RAM. They last two steps are free (y) Replacing the video card, and power supply do cost money of course. You may find these flow charts helpful.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/pcrepair.htm

10. k_carcrispix

k_carcrispix

I'm having a similar problem...thought I should just attach it to this post rather than start a new one.

I too am getting nothing on the monitor at bootup...however the actual standby-light on my monitor stops flashing when the machine powers up, so it is at least getting some kind of signal from the video card...just no actual image. Would this still be a video card issue?

11. saltydawgs

saltydawgs Account Closed

does it make any beeps right before it shuts off?
    suprisingly, each beep represents a certain problem with anyone of the objects in your computer

my best bet would be to simply open it up and make sure everything is connected snugly

12. sUPERbADgIRL

Ok norton850
    I've opened up the computer disconnected everything and put it all back together. Still no monitor. Like k_carcrispix I think that I may be getting some sort of signal from the video card because when I unplug the monitor it indicates that it is receiving no signal, however when I plug it back into the computer and power up the message disappears from the screen. But that's it.

My heatsink/fan and monitor seems to be ok. I really can't tell if the RAM is defective at this point. So should I just buy a new video card, install it and see what happens? According to the flow charts my RAM should be good. I do not hear any beeps when powering up.

If the new video card doesn't work it seems that I would have to replace my CPU.

By the way thanks for the links to the flow charts. They are helpful.

13. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

Since you get no video I would suggest getting a new video card. I had this same basic problem not long ago and discovered it was my video card. Plus onboard video: yuch!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!