1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot with USB hub connected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TigerOnTheProwl, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TigerOnTheProwl

TigerOnTheProwl Thread Starter

I recently bought a new USB hub from Amazon.com. For the most part, it works great. However, if I try to start my computer with it connected, my computer won't boot. It will post, but then it will get stuck. Without the hub connected, it starts just fine. The hub has its own power supply, so that's not an issue, and my computer's boot order is set to start with my internal HDD. I hope someone on here can help me fix this. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to not have to disconnect it every time I start my computer.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, post all of your exact specs; ie exact mb, what external drive, exact pw supply, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact make and model. No one [other than you] has any idea what we are attempting to fix.

Next unless your external drive has its own cooling fan, it is not made for continuous duty. It is made to switch ON and make a backup and switch OFF.

3. TigerOnTheProwl

My computer is for the most part a custom project. I've replaced everything in it except for the DVD drive. Here are its current specs:

Operating system: Windows 7 ultimate SP1
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 975
    Ram: 4 GB Dual-Channel DDR3
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H
    Internal HDD: 2 TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda
    PSU: Corsair 750W
    Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870

And the new hub is a Uspeed USB 3.0 7 port.

Let me know if you need anything else.

4. dai

dai

is it connected to the usb3 port on the computer

have you loaded the usb3 driver,try reloading the driver

5. TigerOnTheProwl

I have the latest drivers, installed earlier today, and it is plugged into a USB 3.0 port on my motherboard.

6. dai

dai

i seem to remember a setting in the bios for usb3 to be set to be handled by either windows or the bios

whatever you have it set to,change it to the opposite and see if that fixes the problem

7. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

I had the same issue. A BIOS upgrade fixed it for me.

There was also a firmware update for the USB3 hub.

8. TigerOnTheProwl

I upgraded my BIOS and found the setting for the USB 3.0 controller. It was enabled so I tried it with it disabled. The computer started without a problem, but then naturally with the controller disabled the hub doesn't work, thus making it useless to have one. I have also tried starting the computer with nothing connected to the hub thinking maybe my computer was trying to boot from my external HDD for some reason, but even with nothing connected it won't boot. Somehow the hub itself is interrupting the boot sequence. Any ideas?

And any idea where I might be able to find a firmware update for the hub?

EDIT: Another thing that I think may be causing it is my USB 3.0 drivers. When I got my motherboard, the disk with the chipsets and drivers did not have a driver for the USB 3.0 ports. I had to find one online. Did I maybe just install the wrong driver or something? If so, could you give me some insight on where I could get the correct driver?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you download the driver from the gigabyte support page for your board?

I just checked and there are 5 different variants of that board so be sure you download the correct driver from the correct version. Note there are links to each version on the support page.
    http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3425#ov

10. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

Which model is the hub? (boot to Windows and see what Device Manager says it is)

As for OS drivers - they have zero effect on booting the machine past the BIOS POST, and I assume it is in the BIOS where it is locking up.

11. TigerOnTheProwl

According to device manager, it's only a 4 port hub, but it is clearly a 7 port. Model number is unavailable. It also says the manufacturer is Renesas Electronics, but it was made by Uspeed before they merged with Anker. However, the USB 3.0 driver for my motherboard was designed by Renesas.

I managed to find a firmware upgrade for the hub on the Anker website, but that still didn't fix the problem.

In case you're wondering which hub it is, you can see it here.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is about as incorrect as you can get. In fact you have it backwards. The os drivers have no effect on the bios. The os drivers have a great impact on booting the machine once past the bios. There are numerous factors that effect a successful boot and os drivers are a very big part of a successful boot.

13. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

You don't read too well do you?

14. dai

dai

15. TigerOnTheProwl

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!