Computer won't boot with USB hub connected

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TigerOnTheProwl

I recently bought a new USB hub from Amazon.com. For the most part, it works great. However, if I try to start my computer with it connected, my computer won't boot. It will post, but then it will get stuck. Without the hub connected, it starts just fine. The hub has its own power supply, so that's not an issue, and my computer's boot order is set to start with my internal HDD. I hope someone on here can help me fix this. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to not have to disconnect it every time I start my computer.

crjdriver

First of all, post all of your exact specs; ie exact mb, what external drive, exact pw supply, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact make and model. No one [other than you] has any idea what we are attempting to fix.

Next unless your external drive has its own cooling fan, it is not made for continuous duty. It is made to switch ON and make a backup and switch OFF.

TigerOnTheProwl

My computer is for the most part a custom project. I've replaced everything in it except for the DVD drive. Here are its current specs:

Operating system: Windows 7 ultimate SP1
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 975
Ram: 4 GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H
Internal HDD: 2 TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda
PSU: Corsair 750W
Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870

And the new hub is a Uspeed USB 3.0 7 port.

Let me know if you need anything else.

dai

is it connected to the usb3 port on the computer

have you loaded the usb3 driver,try reloading the driver

TigerOnTheProwl

I have the latest drivers, installed earlier today, and it is plugged into a USB 3.0 port on my motherboard.

dai

i seem to remember a setting in the bios for usb3 to be set to be handled by either windows or the bios

whatever you have it set to,change it to the opposite and see if that fixes the problem

foxidrive

Banned
if I try to start my computer with it connected, my computer won't boot.
I had the same issue. A BIOS upgrade fixed it for me.

There was also a firmware update for the USB3 hub.

TigerOnTheProwl

I upgraded my BIOS and found the setting for the USB 3.0 controller. It was enabled so I tried it with it disabled. The computer started without a problem, but then naturally with the controller disabled the hub doesn't work, thus making it useless to have one. I have also tried starting the computer with nothing connected to the hub thinking maybe my computer was trying to boot from my external HDD for some reason, but even with nothing connected it won't boot. Somehow the hub itself is interrupting the boot sequence. Any ideas?

And any idea where I might be able to find a firmware update for the hub?

EDIT: Another thing that I think may be causing it is my USB 3.0 drivers. When I got my motherboard, the disk with the chipsets and drivers did not have a driver for the USB 3.0 ports. I had to find one online. Did I maybe just install the wrong driver or something? If so, could you give me some insight on where I could get the correct driver?

foxidrive

Banned
And any idea where I might be able to find a firmware update for the hub?
Which model is the hub? (boot to Windows and see what Device Manager says it is)

As for OS drivers - they have zero effect on booting the machine past the BIOS POST, and I assume it is in the BIOS where it is locking up.

TigerOnTheProwl

According to device manager, it's only a 4 port hub, but it is clearly a 7 port. Model number is unavailable. It also says the manufacturer is Renesas Electronics, but it was made by Uspeed before they merged with Anker. However, the USB 3.0 driver for my motherboard was designed by Renesas.

I managed to find a firmware upgrade for the hub on the Anker website, but that still didn't fix the problem.

In case you're wondering which hub it is, you can see it here.

crjdriver

As for OS drivers - they have zero effect on booting the machine past the BIOS POST, and I assume it is in the BIOS where it is locking up.
This is about as incorrect as you can get. In fact you have it backwards. The os drivers have no effect on the bios. The os drivers have a great impact on booting the machine once past the bios. There are numerous factors that effect a successful boot and os drivers are a very big part of a successful boot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online