1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer won't boot without unplugging and plugging motherboard power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Milkchoc, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Milkchoc

Milkchoc Thread Starter

Hi All! Been a while since I've posted, but sitting here reading other's posts, I almost forgot why I logged in!

I have a weird problem with my computer.....a little background:
    I didn't turn the computer on for a LONG time....perhaps a year, so one day, I decided to boot it up and it won't boot past the post! So I replaced the MB battery, checked the power supply, replaced the memory...and it booted. But then, I turn it off, and it won't boot again...same problem with it not booting past the mem. post. So being that it was an old computer, I figured I'd just build myself a new machine and use the hard drive as a slave. There are programs on the drive that I want to use that I cannot replace! Well, I tried doing that, but the new computer won't see the drive....it won't even boot with it plugged in. So....

I take the hard drive to another machine that I know works fine, and it boots. Problem solved....so I thought. I turn it off, and try and turn it back on.....nothing.....no beeps, no post....nothing. So I tried changing the power supply, and plug all back in, and it boots. Turn it off, nothing. Long story short, if I unplug the motherboard power cord from the board, and plug it back in, it boots, but if I turn it off, I have to repeat the motherboard plug thing to get it to boot again. I have had the drive checked for viruses, and it's clean.
    I have to admit, I am stumped! Any ideas? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The system is a abit kt7 mb with a WD caviar hard drive. I'm thinking the hard drive is the culprit since it has produced the same issues on 2 boards. I just don't understand why it boots only if I unplug and plug the mb main power.

2. Milkchoc

Milkchoc Thread Starter

Anyone?????

3. BG-0

BG-0

Some grounding problem or similar with the hard drive... Backup all data, replace, and you're good... No point battling with a problem that you've already identified a culprit for. Send in for a warranty replacement if the warranty isn't over yet.

Do the computers reproduce the problem at any time without the hard drive connected?

4. Milkchoc

Milkchoc Thread Starter

Thanks BG-0 for your input. To answer your question, no they do not. I did run WD's diagnostic software, and the drive failed the raw read error rating. I'm not really sure what that is, but It does seem to confirm a failing drive. My next step would be to do as you say, replace the drive while I can still get it to boot. My next project I guess would be to find out how to make an exact clone of this drive, as I need the registry and everything on it. The drive and os was a very stable system before this all happened.

5. BG-0

BG-0

Get a Seagate drive and use Maxblast 5, or then any other drive, and the Trial version of Acronis TrueImage. Both (same program, different kind of versions) are easy to use for cloning drives effectively.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!